Transport workers lost R271m

2012-10-12 12:47

The three-week-long transport sector strike that ended today saw workers lose millions of rands in wages.

“Workers lost R271 million in wages while employers suffered a R1.2 billion loss a week,” Road Freight Employers’ Association chairperson Penwell Lunga told reporters in Johannesburg.

The strike had been marred by violence, with delivery vehicles looted and set alight, one driver killed, and several others injured.

Lunga said employers had been operating at between 70% and 80% capacity as of Wednesday.

SA Transport and Allied Workers’ Union (Satawu) general secretary Zenzo Mahlangu said his union was wrongly blamed for the violence.

“There were three other unions on strike as well, but we hear Satawu being blamed for the violence. Employers know we never burnt a single truck.”

The deal was staggered over three years and had a 10% wage increase in the first year, eight in the second, and nine in the third.

The first wage increase would be implemented on March 1 2013.

The negotiations were facilitated by the Commission for Conciliation, Mediation, and Arbitration.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.