Two Eastern Cape children die from smoke inhalation

2014-01-08 15:45

Two children in Mthatha died from smoke inhalation after their father allegedly locked them in their flat with a burning candle, Eastern Cape police said.

The children, aged five and eight, were locked inside at the Universe Flats in Fort Gale last night, said Warrant Officer Dineo Koena.

“The flat was destroyed by flames, but not completely. The children were not burnt.”

Apparently there was no electricity in the area and the father lit a candle before he left them overnight.

“When he got back in the early hours of this morning, they were dead from the smoke,” Koena said.

No arrest had been made and police were investigating. An inquest docket and a case of arson were opened.

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.