Two Fukushima workers may have exceeded radiation limit

2011-05-30 09:03

Tokyo – Two workers at Japan’s crippled nuclear power plant may have exceeded the government’s radiation exposure limit, the plant operator said, adding to concerns about health risks for those fighting the world’s worst nuclear disaster in 25 years.

If confirmed, it would mark the first case of excess radiation exposure among the hundreds of emergency workers who have struggled to bring Tokyo Electric Power’s (Tepco) Fukushima Daiichi plant under control after it was wrecked by a massive earthquake and tsunami two and a half months ago.

Both the government and the utility, Tepco, have come under fire for not disclosing enough information about radiation doses and the risks. Some experts question whether workers have been fully informed of the potential dangers.

“The problem is that too much policy has been focused on protecting Tepco and not enough on the public,” said Kiyoshi Kurakawa, a medical doctor who served as a science adviser to the government from 2006 to 2008.

Measurements of external exposure and radioactive iodine in their thyroid glands suggested that the two male workers, one in his 30s and the other in his 40s, had surpassed the maximum set by the government of 250 millisieverts over the life of the control and clean-up project.

Exposure to 250 millisieverts of radiation is equivalent to more than 400 stomach X-rays.

That is below the level for acute radiation sickness. Experts are divided about the long term health effect but agree higher levels of exposure correspond to higher risk of cancers.

The government relaxed its upper limit for exposure for the Fukushima disaster, allowing 250 millisieverts for male emergency workers compared with the conventional maximum of 100 millisieverts for nuclear-related emergencies.

Health checks about a week ago did not reveal any abnormalities in the two workers. More detailed exams are planned, Tepco said.

Japan’s nuclear regulator pressed Tokyo Electric for more information and said it would monitor the situation to ensure adherence to government guidelines.

The two worked in the central control room for the plant’s No 3 and No 4 reactors and conducted inspections of the plant on March 11 after a magnitude 9.0 earthquake and tsunami disabled its cooling systems and triggered fuel meltdowns in three reactors. They had been stationed at the plant until recently.

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.