Anglers waiting out the howling winds and rain

2010-10-16 00:00

OCTOBER weather is certainly living up to its reputation. These conditions are expected at this time of the year and anglers must just sit out the howling winds and rain. However, when there is a chance to get some angling in, it can be rewarding as far as reef dwellers are concerned. The hardcore angler with endless patience can be well rewarded when targeting brusher and bronze bream. These fish feed in almost any condition October can throw at them. Locally the garrick run has eased off. Anglers that were using shad as live bait will now have to look at alternatives or face the wrath of the law. On the north coast, places like Tongaat, Seoula and Barracouts Rocks have been producing a steady flow of garrick, as well as a few good size kob at night. Further north, the Tugela, Amatikulu and Port Durnford stretches have produced some excellent results. Anglers fishing the Richards Bay piers have also had success with garrick and kob over the past few weeks. Locally, anglers waiting to target the larger flatfish will have to be a bit patient although the odd grey shark, brown skate and diamond has made an appearance.

Mike has just returned from an awesome five-day adrenaline packed tiger fishing trip to Lake Jozini.

Day two: “We were on the water by 5.30 am for our morning session and there was a stiff NE wind and it was hot. The wind made positioning the boat very difficult and we set about finding the fish. After the previous hot day I thought we would find the fish deep, but we found the tiger fish feeding in very shallow areas in little open pockets between the weed beds, and so my weed less style of top water was the only way to target these fish. My four guests were quick learners and it was not very long before they had the lures swimming to perfection. Fishing was still slow, and a few fish were lost, then … My reel screamed and a huge tiger raced off flying through the air a few times and then came loose. This of course got everyone’s adrenaline pumping and they started copying my retrieval technique. A few casts later I had a screaming reel again, and again the tiger was leaping through the air. This tiger was not so fortunate and I got him through the weeds and onto the boat, a lovely specimen. We started our afternoon session at around 2.30 pm and it was hot and the wind had died down. We went back to the area we fished in the morning and continued fishing the weeds. It was a lot easier keeping the boat positioned and it was not long before the guys fishing on the casting platform on the bow started getting a few fish. We were also treated to a feeding display by a rather large crocodile in the water about 50 m away from us.

The hippo’s did not like us fishing in one area and so we had to relocate.

Day three: We launched the boat at 5 am to make the long trip to the Gorge area. It was cold and overcast, but there was virtually no wind and the water temperature was up by one degree. Unfortunately we found no fish in the Gorge, not even a chase and so decided to go back to the river section and fish the weed beds and so too the 20 km trip back. The fishing was tough and the water was like a sheet of glass, but we did manage to land a few smaller tigers and the one guest got a lovely specimen. We got down to the boat again just before 2.30 pm and fished till dark. This was a good afternoon and another decent size fish was landed. These fish give a good account for themselves on the light 10lb tackle we were using.

Day four: I had invited two friends to join me for an afternoon and morning session of tiger fishing. Carlos was already waiting for me and Rolfe was on his way. After breakfast I went down with Carlos, who was a quick learner and was up to speed with the fishing technique in no time and he landed his first tiger, and I got two. Rolfe then arrived and we went back to the business of catching tiger fish. This was the best session of all and we landed 14 tiger fish between us for that afternoon. Carlos’s water broke when he hooked into a monster which went flying out of the water at high speed and then smashed him up. At least he got to see the fish which will now haunt him for years to come.

Day five: We got down early at 5 am and Brett the new guide from Shayamoya joined us to learn a few tricks. We only landed three fish.

Any information about fishing, fish caught or competitions in your area please send to or fax 031  368 4007, attention Mike.

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.