Bail denied for alleged cable thieves

2012-12-07 00:00

THREE alleged copper cable thieves were denied bail in the Pietermaritzburg Magistrate’s Court yesterday.

Magistrate Reard Abrahams ruled it would not be in the interests of justice to release the men — Lindenkosi Xulu (34) of Ladysmith, Anton Chauke (33) of Soweto, and Mozambican Sipho Mchunu (29) — on bail, saying the case against them was strong and they were a flight risk.

A fourth accused, Moses Mashaba (30), who is also from Mozambique, did not apply for bail.

The four men are alleged to be involved in syndicates that target electrical and railway networks in the country.

Investigator Nico Smith of Combined Private Investigations — who was previously attached to the Hawks — told the court that KZN experienced an increase in this type of crime during June this year and many investigators, including him, were deployed to the area.

On July 18, in response to a report from Eskom about a power failure in the Hilton area, police and private investigators rushed to the scene.

Using night vision glasses, his colleagues saw three people running to the freeway, jump into a bakkie and drive off towards Pietermaritzburg. A chase ensued and the K9 police unit was called in to assist.

The vehicle was stopped in Northdale and the four men were arrested.

Mchunu allegedly tried to flee, but was caught within 300 metres.

At the scene, where high-voltage Eskom conductor cables were cut, investigators found rolls of conductor cables hidden in branches and recovered a hacksaw and bolt cutters.

Smith testified that although the copper cable (worth R720 000) was recovered, it could not be used again and had to be replaced.

He agreed that no incriminating items were found in the actual possession of the accused.

Abrahams said that although the case against the accused was circumstantial, it was a “strong” case.

He said the investigators were sure they had the right suspects and also confiscated the men’s clothing, which was allegedly stained with and smelled of copper residue.

There was also evidence that the men’s hands smelled of copper residue.

Abrahams said Smith was an experienced investigator who would “know what copper smells and looks like”.

The magistrate said neither Chauke nor Mchunu was able to produce an identity document, with the result that the court could not confirm their identity. If they were released from custody, police would not know where to find them.

Abrahams said the public had a far- reaching interest in the case, being affected by the theft of cable.

The men were remanded in custody pending their next appearance on January 18.


Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.