POWER blackouts have hit three Pietermaritzburg suburbs since Thursday night. The outages come only a week after a third of the city’s neighbourhoods were hit by power failures in a major incident that saw two Msunduzi municipal technicians and a labourer hospitalised after an explosion at a substation. Msunduzi’s head of electricity Sabatha Nomnganga blamed the black-outs on rampant copper cable theft. Yesterday, Weekend Witness learned that since Thursday night, Oak Park, Montrose and Wembley had suffered power outages. Acting Msunduzi municipal spokesperson Nqobile Madonda said the black-outs in these residential areas were also the result of an electrical cable fault. “Our guys worked during Thursday night to restore power and when they thought the power had been restored this morning they were called out to fix another damaged cable,” she said. She said it was difficult to locate the fault because the damaged cable was in thick bush near Montrose and added that they hoped to have power restored by last night.