Boy (7) killed in taxi crash

2008-11-12 00:00

AN unlicensed minibus taxi overturned yesterday morning, killing primary school pupil Tristan Naidoo (7) and injuring six more pupils in Northdale. Reckless driving is believed to be the cause of the accident. Police have confirmed that the taxi driver does not have a public driving permit.

The accident happened at 7.15 am on Firwood Road. The vehicle had just turned a bend when the driver lost control. It crashed into a fire hydrant on the corner before hitting the concrete fence of number 128 Firwood Road. Residents at number 128 witnessed the accident.

“I heard a screeching sound and ran outside to see what was happening. The vehicle was out of control and it ploughed on to a sandbank before it crashed into the concrete fence and overturned,” said resident Shirley Cheddy.

Paramedics arrived at the scene to find injured children lying on the road. Said Netcare 911 paramedic Garrith Jamison, “It was heart-breaking to see all these innocent children in such pain and agony. But then we heard people screaming that a child was caught under the vehicle.

“We raced over and with the help of a tow truck and bystanders we lifted the vehicle,” said Jamison, but “my heart dropped when I realised that there was nothing we could do” as the seven-year-old boy had died.

Seven other children escaped through the vehicle’s emergency exit. The driver was trapped inside after concrete bricks from the fence had fallen on him.

Tristan was a grade two pupil at Newholme Primary School. Newholme principal Preggy Naicker told The Witness how he will remember him. “He had an infectious smile, and was always immaculately dressed. I arrived on the scene and I saw this small body lying there and I recognised my school jacket.”

Four other pupils in the taxi were from Newholme Primary. The others are from Pafta Primary and, apparently, Deccan Road Primary. A teacher from Pafta Primary, Avitha Megnath, broke down when she arrived at the scene and saw the body of the young boy.

Tristan’s father was at work when the accident happened. He rushed to the scene with friends. A family spokesman told The Witness that Tristan’s parents are trying to come to terms with the loss. “The family has asked that they be allowed to grieve. They are not ready to speak to the media.”

Msunduzi Traffic Department spokesman Kwenza Khumalo said the vehicle was unlicensed and has been impounded. He said the SAPS have taken over the investigation. SAPS spokesman Senior Superintendent Henry Budhram said several cases have been opened. “We are investigating a case of culpable homicide, reckless driving and of driving an unlicensed vehicle.”

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.