Captive fingers police

2013-08-03 00:00

A PROMISE of R50 000 is allegedly what it took to secure the services of two Pietermaritzburg flying squad members to abduct an Underberg businessman last month.

The two cops were arrested on Thursday in connection with the abduction of Mohsin Patel, who was held captive for 22 days in Port Shepstone.

The pair appeared briefly in the Himeville Magistrate’s Court yesterday and will remain in custody until their next court appearance. This brings the number of arrests to nine. Seven men were arrested on the day Patel (25) was rescued.

He was called out by two men in police uniform at his Himeville supermarket last month. The men said they wanted to question him about a case they were investigating.

One of them pointed a firearm at his head and forced him into a vehicle.

Later the two were joined by other men and they drove to Port Shepstone where he (Patel) was chained to a bed in a flat for 22 days.

His captors demanded a R1 million ransom. His brother paid R100 000 into an account for which details were provided.

Patel’s kidnappers also phoned his father in India, demanding that he make a payment of R500 000.

Patel senior told the men he did not have the money.

“That’s when they started telling me that they will kidnap my brother if the money was not paid. I have since found out that my father had a heart attack after hearing about this incident,” Patel said at the time.

Patel believed that local businessmen were behind his kidnapping.

Yesterday he told The Witness that he had positively identified the men during a police identity parade on Thursday.

“I’m happy with the progress in the case. The two men are the same who called me from outside my business and pointed a firearm at me,” he said.

Asked about his father’s condition after the heart attack, Patel said he was doing fine and that he was on medication.

He said his brother had since recovered R95 000 of the­ R100 000 paid into the account.

Provincial police spokesperson Colonel Vincent Mdunge confirmed that the officers were arrested and remanded in custody.

“The two officers were promised R50 000 to abduct Patel. They were given a R10 000 deposit. “As part of our investigation an identity parade was conducted at the Himeville police station where the two officers were also present. Once they were positively identified, we arrested them,” said Mdunge.

All the men arrested in connection with the case were still in police custody, he said.

The two officers will appear in court after seven days for a formal bail application.

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.