Coin manager was shot ‘almost point-blank’

2012-04-20 00:00

THE first policeman at the scene of the shooting of Protea Coin Group regional manager Daniel van der Spuy on May 27, 2011, said yesterday the killer had been advancing on him while firing the fatal shots.

The third (and final) shot would have been fired “almost point-blank” into him, Sergeant Dillon Richardson of the SAPS dog unit told the court.

He was testifying before regional magistrate Kevin Leat at the trial of former Coin employee Bonginkosi Nene (47), who is charged with Van der Spuy’s murder.

The state alleges Nene killed Van der Spuy in anger after being informed a disciplinary committee had recommended he be dismissed for refusing to shave his beard.

Nene is allegedly a member of the Shembe church, which forbids him from shaving his beard

He has pleaded not guilty to the murder charge.

Richardson, who was the first person to enter the office after the shooting, said he found Van der Spuy lying on the floor behind his desk.

He was lying with his back and head slumped against the wall and his legs stretched in front of him.

He had been shot in the head.

There was “quite a lot” of blood spatter on the wall behind him.

Richardson, who shoots competitively, said that from the position of the three spent 9 mm cartridges he had found, he deduced the first shot was fired at Van der Spuy from a spot near the doorway.

The gunman must have advanced on Van der Spuy and come around his desk to fire the two last shots.

The final shot would have been fired “almost point-blank” into the victim, he said.

Richardson said he had felt Van der Spuy for a pulse but there was none.

Then he called for a paramedic and left the room to avoid contaminating evidence.

He said he and a colleague were called to the scene on their police radio.

On arrival they were told by people outside there was an armed suspect in the building and that shots had been fired.

“I drew my weapon and we entered … I called out to the suspect who I could not see, and warned him to drop his weapon. I did so several times before I got an answer.”

“He then said the gun is down … [the accused] then approached us with his hands on his head,” he said.

Richardson said he instructed Nene to lie on the floor and covered his colleague while he was putting handcuffs on him.

Richardson then entered the office where he found Van der Spuy.

The case will proceed on June 26.


Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.