College vs Glenwood good advert for schoolboy rugby

2012-06-12 00:00

WHILE I was sitting in front of a log fire in the Underburg area, with snow falling outside, Maritzburg College made a good comeback after their disappointing televised match the week before. Kearsney continued their dominance with a convincing victory, while Michaelhouse did not have it all their own way, in the top three matches on Saturday. The weather in Durban was not conducive to good running rugby.

Glenwood 16

Maritzburg College 16

This was another match where College won the second half and this time managed a draw. Despite the wet ball, there was some good handling and players from both sides attempted to keep the ball moving. In fact, it was a good advert for schoolboy rugby in the country.

College put early pressure on the hosts and had the better of the scrums, giving the Glenwood front row a torrid time. Glenwood were quicker to the tackled ball and won a number of turnovers.

Six all was a fair reflection of the game for the first half. Penalties were traded by Warren Potgieter for Glenwood and Marcel Coetzee for College. Two 50-50 calls then went against the visitors.

College centre Coetzee had broken through the Glenwood defence, but the referee ruled that he had received a forward pass. In a movement not much later, Glenwood fullback Corne Vermaak received a pass which also appeared slightly forward, but here the referee let play continue. He went on to score Glenwood’s only try to give the home side a 13-6 lead at the break.

Fifteen minutes into the second half, Potgieter increased Glenwood’s lead to 16-6 with another penalty. Both sides had further chances of scoring, but a combination of good defence and mistakes in the red zones prevented tries being scored. College exerted greater pressure in the final quarter. When the forwards drove over the line, the ball was ruled to have been held up.

A line movement from a scrum saw Jesse Kriel evade some tackles and time his pass to Coetzee who dived over. He converted from an angle to bring College within three points of Glenwood. With just two minutes remaining, College drove forward from the kickoff but gave away a penalty. Potgieter was optimistic in trying to convert a penalty from 60 metres out. If he had taken a kick for the touchline, it would have given Glenwood a line-out throw with time up on the clock. His kick was short and College again used the ball well to move forward, back into the Glenwood half. They were then awarded a penalty for an offside infringement and Coetzee slotted the pressure kick to gain a draw.

This was probably a fair reflection of the result with Glenwood having the better of the first half and College coming back strongly in the second half.

Kearsney 20 Westville 3

This was a tough, physical encounter with not much love lost between the sides. Westville started the stronger of the two teams and dominated both possession and territory.

Kearsney were the more patient and made fewer mistakes.

Tristan Tedder opened the scoring with a penalty for Kearsney about midway in the half. The possession stakes now swung Kearsney’s way. A kick that did not find touch saw Kearsney countering and the ball moved through a number of hands with the final pass from scrumhalf Matt Reece-Edwards. This enabled wing Dean Seals to score in the right corner. Tedder slotted the conversion for the home side to lead 10-0. Just before half time, Westville were awarded a penalty and Louis Snyman made sure to put them on the board.

The second half was a much better start for the home side and two minutes after the whistle Isolethu Ngidi darted this way and that, and then passed inside to Daniel du Preez who scored near the upright. Tedder converted and Kearsney led 17-3.

Kearsney were clearly on top, but some good Westville defence kept them from scoring. They did drive over, but the try was disallowed by the referee. The pressure was maintained by the home side before a penalty by Tedder made the final score a deserved 20-3.

DHS 14 Michaelhouse 22

The wet weather, Old Boys’ Day and home support certainly assisted the home side against their visitors from Balgowan. DHS lifted their game and played to their strength, which lies with the forwards. They seldom spread the ball, but kept it tight playing pick and drive.

Michaelhouse were prevented from using their exciting backline to good effect, as handling became difficult. It was eventually three tries to two, and in the words of Michaelhouse coach Mike Schwartz: “It was like a boxing match — slugging, then Michaelhouse got in some quick jabs before the slugging again to complete the game.”

Michaelhouse were worried at half time as they trailed 5-7. Prop Lindani Dlamini had scored for DHS from a pick and drive, converted by Le Roux van Zyl, to a try by centre replacement Kieren Furniss. DHS scored again, this time by flank Jarad Ryder again converted by Van Zyl to lead 14-5. The rain stopped for a period of about 10 minutes and in that time the “quick jabs were put in” and wing Bruce Arnott scored a brace. Both were converted by Robbie Anderson to put DHS into a 19-14 lead.

The visitors did not attempt to run the ball when awarded a penalty towards the end, but instead went for the three points which was converted by Anderson. This gave them a safety margin of seven points running up to the final whistle.

Northwood 5 St Charles 3

This was another tight match in wet conditions with all the points scored in the first half. Both teams defended well and although they tried to run the ball, were stopped before they reached the tryline. The big Northwood eighth man, David Mthungwa, drove over for a try and then Kyle Venter converted a penalty for St Charles.

The second half continued much as the first, with tackles and more tackles being the feature of the play. St Charles did have an opportunity to take the honours with a penalty late in the game, but it went wide and Northwood came away with the slender win.

George Campbell 5 Hilton 20

This had been expected to be tough and it certainly was, with Campbell not standing back in the tight-loose. The conditions were against Hilton’s style and they suited George Campbell. At half time, Hilton led 8-5 after a bruising battle, where flank Chris Taylor had scored a try and Cameron Wright a penalty. S. Ntombela scored for Campbell.

The second half was better for the visitors as they tried to move the ball away from the GC forwards. This resulted in two further tries by centre Jager Richmond and wing Matt Dickason. Wright converted the former to give Hilton a 24-5 win.

Other scores: Weston 17 Voortrekker 19; Hillcrest 3 Thomas More 0; Wartburg 6 Treverton 6; St Henrys 73 New Forest 7; Port Shepstone 57 Kingsway 3

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.