Criminals not fazed by alarm

2011-09-07 00:00

BRAZEN criminals continued to attack a couple and ransack their home, despite knowing the alarm had been set off and that a response unit and police were on their way.

Leticia Bense of Leisure Bay told The Witness how she and her husband, Trevor, were robbed in their home on August 28.

She said that although she had set off the alarm the criminals continued to search the house and steal their belongings.

She said the perpetrators gained entry through the garage.

The couple were not certain how many men entered their property, but said there were more than two.

“I came home and parked the car in the garage. The men entered the house as the automated garage door opened,” said Bense.

He said he was still in his vehicle when the men began to assault him.

They pulled him out of the vehicle, pushed him to the ground and assaulted him again.

“I got into a scuffle with them, but they told me to be quiet or else they would kill me,” he added.

Leticia said she sensed something was wrong as a few minutes had passed and her husband had still not entered the house.

“As I approached the garage, which interleads into the house, one of the men tried to grab hold of me.”

She managed to fight the man off and locked the door leading into the house.

“I quickly pressed the panic button, but to my surprise this did not stop the perpetrators from trying to gain entry,” said Leticia.

The man used a fire extinguisher to break open the door and gained entry to the house.

“I realised that I had to do something because they were going to come into the house. I locked myself in a room and prayed that Trevor was all right,” she said.

She alerted the police while locked in the room.

Meanwhile two men had dragged Bense outside while the others ransacked the house with the alarm still blaring.

“I was so worried that they were going to hurt Leticia,” said Bense.

They fled with a DVD player, laptop, handbags and other items.

“Although Trevor had sustained serious injuries and had to be hospitalised, I was happy that we were both okay,” said Leticia.

She said Port Edward police and Chubb Fire & Security should be commended for their speedy arrival and “superb” assistance.

“The police and security officers did an outstanding job,” she said.

Police spokesperson Sergeant Pumzile Makaula said a man has been arrested and has appeared in court.

The case was postponed to September 8.

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.