DOCTORS yesterday gave the green light for 12-year-old Tian Fourie to go home after spending a week in intensive care fighting the same bug that his sister succumbed to on Sunday. Tian and his sister fell ill last week while on holiday in Mozambique with their family. They underwent emergency tracheotomy procedures at Icor Hospital in Mozambique after their respiratory tracts had closed due to severe swelling. They were then airlifted from Mozambique and placed in high care at Durban’s Nkosi Albert Luthuli Central Hospital. At that stage they were thought to have mumps. Tian made progress while his sister died two days after being admitted, despite the best efforts of doctors to save the lives of both children. Tian’s mother, Cornelia Fourie-Liut, spent Christmas by the bed of her son after losing her daughter. “She has been in hospital since her children were admitted,” said Tian’s grandmother, Lana Fourie. “The family spent Christmas Day in hospital.” Weekend Witness learnt that a drug-resistant strain of Staphylococcus aureus, a bacterial infection, was identified as the infection contracted by the two children while in Mozambique. Commenting on Tian’s discharge from hospital, his grandmother said the family was relieved and happy and that although he would still need medical attention, hospital staff had managed to deal with the infection. “Now my grandson will be in our care at home. And he is doing extremely well.” Tian was only told yesterday that his sister had died. “Tian was very devastated, he cried uncontrollably,” Fourie said. “It was very sad. We worried that the news about Lianja would affect his health, but he is a fighter.” The family has not yet set a date for the funeral of their daughter.