Death and damage: bad luck dogs Northdale widow

2012-05-09 00:00

BAD luck seems to be stalking a widowed Northdale pensioner.

Following the death of her daughter last year, Thoko Ndlela is finding it hard to cope after her home was damaged by fire in the early hours of Saturday morning.

Large parts of Ndlela’s house were left exposed to the elements when the roof caved in following the fire that began when her teenage grandson accidentally knocked over a candle.

Ndlela, her two daughters, and three grandchildren have no other option but to remain in the house.

“The laundry basket in the bedroom where the children were sleeping caught alight and the fire spread to the other rooms,” she said.

Ndlela took early retirement in 2008 due to sickness. Her husband died in 2001.

She told The Witness that the fire had happened at a bad time, and that it was hard for her to cope.

“I’m still paying for my first-born daughter’s funeral,” Ndlela said.

“The pension money I get is too low and I am not working.”

In the early hours of Saturday morning, she said, they tried to put out the fire with the help of neighbours, before calling the fire department.

Three bedrooms, including her own, and the bathroom were damaged.

The house, which still smelled of smoke when The Witness arrived yesterday, was exposed to the elements, but Ndlela said they were lucky that it had not yet rained since the fire.

“We were given sheeting to cover the roof because the water will seep through when it rains,” she said.

“I don’t know how much it will cost to fix the damage, but I heard that the roof alone will be very expensive,” she added.

“I hope that it will eventually get fixed. This is just hard to deal with.”

She said thy were using candles because their electricity had been disconnected by the municipality.

The councillor for Ward 31, Rooksana Ahmed, said that Ndlela would have been assisted with her rates had she approached them in time.

She said that she would encourage her and other pensioners in the ward to apply for rates rebates before the deadline at the end of May.

Of the fire, she said: “It is sad what happened to the woman. What we can do is speak to various stakeholders and see where they can assist.”

Coenie van Heerden of the Pietermaritzburg Benevolent Society told The Witness that they had been helping the family through this tough time.

“They called me on Sunday, and I took some food and blankets to them,” said Van Heerden.

“We’re not a society with a lot of money, but we try to help where we can,” he said.


Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.