Extra security promised at Sharks match as beating accused surrender

2013-04-04 00:00

THE Sharks’ management team have vowed tougher security at this weekend’s Super 15 match after five men suspected of brutally beating a fan to death finally handed themselves over to police.

Stricter security measures would be in place for tomorrow’s game against the Crusaders from New Zealand, the local rugby franchise said.

The five suspects will appear in the Durban Magistrate’s Court today. They cannot be named until their appearance.

The rugby world was shocked by the death of South African-born Briton Brett Williams (29), who died after a savage beating outside King’s Park stadium following the Sharks game against the Melbourne Rebels on March 23.

Police spokesperson Colonel Vincent Mdunge said four of the suspects handed themselves in at Durban Central police station on Tuesday evening. The fifth suspect surrendered yesterday morning.

They were being held at Durban North police station, said Mdunge.

Sharks chief executive Brian van Zyl said the management were taking no chances this weekend.

He said there would be additional security measures and any violent behaviour would not be tolerated.

Aggressive spectators were liable to be thrown out.

He said they would closely monitor CCTV footage with police.

“The Sharks and our service providers have looked at how spectator security and safety for fans could be improved.”

Additional measures would be introduced, including a security hotline to which spectators could report “untoward behaviour or possible volatile situations”, and a trained plainclothes reaction unit would be on standby.

The measures would complement the deployment of 400 security staff who are regularly out in force on match days. The hotline number would be extensively promoted during matches.

Van Zyl said paramedics would continue to be on standby at the stadium in case of emergencies.

Williams rerportedly worked as a maritime security officer in Britain and was in transit in South Africa. He had arrived in South Africa two days before he was killed and was due to fly back home on March 29.

He was born in Edenvale, Johannesburg, and emigrated to Liverpool a few years ago.

The South African Rugby Union condemned the killing and called for the “immediate arrest” of the suspects.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.