Farmer’s harrowing ordeal

2013-02-27 00:00

A WOMAN who survived a two-hour ordeal when she was attacked at her Harburg farm by two gunmen, yesterday described her terror as she waited for her attackers to come back and kill her, as they had vowed to do.

Nicole Coetzee (44) of Boiling Fountain farm, the fiancée of Bruno Muhl (50), was lucky to survive the Friday night ordeal without a scratch, but Muhl was shot and is still in intensive care in hospital.

She said she was opening the gate, returning home from work at a nearby restaurant, at about 9.45 pm when two gunmen approached her.

“They shot my dog dead, then forced me inside the yard and into the house,” said Coetzee.

She said they asked her where the safe was. “I told them that I did not know, as we had just moved into the house. They tied me up with cable ties and put me in the bathroom for about 10 minutes,” she said.

The gunmen searched her house and found keys which they used to try and open the safe, but they did not work.

“They came back to me and I told them that there was money in the car and they escorted me to the car where I gave them about R6 000 from the money I had cashed up at the restaurant. They wanted more. They forced me to drive the car inside while one sat on the back seat pointing a firearm at me, and the other one walked next to the car with his firearm,” she said.

She said she was in a panic throughout the entire ordeal.

They took her inside and put her in a wardrobe with her mouth gagged. “They said they were coming back to kill me,” she said.

After a few minutes she heard her fiancé’s car, and there was shouting outside, followed by a gunshot. “I waited for the them to come back to kill me. But I managed to kick open the wardrobe and I walked to the front door and put cable ties on the door handles to close the door. Then I went to the kitchen where I used a knife to cut the cable ties on my hands,” said Coetzee.

She then phoned the security company, police and friends, to call for help as she did not know what had happened to Muhl.

When the security company arrived, she opened the door and found him on the ground.

She said she was happy that both her children were not at home at the time.

“I am glad that they were not here as I am not sure what would have happened,” she said.

Police spokesperson Lieutenant Joey Jeevan said they arrested a 22-year-old man in the uMvoti area in Dalton for the attack and another arrest is imminent.

“Muhl sustained a gunshot wound to the chest and was removed to a hospital in Pietermaritzburg where he is believed to be in a stable condition. The man will appear in court shortly,” said Jeevan.

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.