TWO doctors’ premises caught fire and were extensively damaged in the Northdale area yesterday. Msunduzi Fire Department contained the fire before it spread to homes next to the doctors’ rooms. The heat of the fire broke several windows of nearby flats. It was not immediately clear what started the fire at the commercial and residential area in Victory Road, but The Witness understands it started near the doctors’ rooms. The Witness could not speak to the doctors as they were too distraught. The owner of the building directed all communication to his lawyers, who said they were too busy to talk to the media. Essack Khan, the senior fire officer at the scene, said when they received the call, they were first told it was a rubbish fire. He said to get the fire under control, they had deployed four vehicles and 20 firefighters. The fire burnt everything inside the doctors’ rooms to ashes. The corrugated iron roof had caved in and there was also damage to the grocery shop on the side of the doctors’ rooms. A resident who asked not to be named said it was fortunate that no one had been injured. Ishaan Jonathan, a flat resident who was not at home when the fire started, said he was thankful that his children were not at home and his flat was not burnt. The fire caused all the windows in his flat directly facing the fire to crack.