Fullback Rose lucky to survive crash

2012-08-20 00:00

GORDONS BAY — The police are investigating a case of reckless and negligent driving after the former Springbok rugby player Earl Rose and his wife crashed into a building in the early hours of yesterday morning.

The collision happened just after 3 am when the Roses allegedly skipped a stop street at a T-junction and crashed through the wall of the Ooskus fish and chip shop.

Johan Thiart, who lives nearby, said he was lying in bed when he heard a car driving down the road at high speed.

“I knew it was going to hit something and then I heard a loud crash. The driver did not even brake. I immediately jumped up and ran to the crash.”

Police said that Rose was already standing next to the vehicle when they arrived on the scene.

He told them his wife, Amor, was driving the car. She had however gone to look for help. The shop’s CCTV footage showed how the black BMW 1-series raced over the T-junction at the stop sign and hit the shop, without turning right or left.

Thiart, who was at the scene within minutes of the crash, said he saw how Rose climbed out of the window on the driver’s side.

“He was yelling terribly,” he said. “He was not wearing a shirt and it seemed as if he was drunk.”

The couple were reportedly on their way to a night club in the Gordons Bay industrial area when the crash took place.

Neither was injured. Friends and family of the former Springbok fullback, who live in Strand, arrived after about 30 minutes.

A photographer who took photos of the scene for Raymond Goldberg, the shop’s owner, said the family threatened to break her camera if she photographed them.

Goldberg said the damage to his shop would come to several thousand rands. The shop has been in business for the past 38 years.

“They are very lucky to be alive,” he said. “The entire front wall of the building fell into the shop, rather than on the car.”

Rose could not be reached for comment yesterday.

His wife said he was asleep when sister paper Die Burger called first and then did not answer the phone.

His agent, Anthony Johnson, said the couple would make a statement at the local police station yesterday.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.