Girl fakes own kidnap

2013-09-26 00:00

A KWAZULU-NATAL mother’s frantic bid to get help for her 19-year-old daughter, who she believed to have been kidnapped, eventually led police to discover that the young woman had allegedly faked her own kidnapping.

Before she contacted police, her distraught mother had received cellphone images of her child bound and gagged, and then a chilling cellphone call notifying her that her daughter’s blood-stained cellphone had been found on Anstey’s beach.

Mary Dilley and her partner Brandon Wester, also 19, were arrested by police last week at a home in Islandview Road on Durban’s Bluff after police responded to a report by Dilley’s mother (whose name is being withheld) that her daughter had been kidnapped.

The couple have since been charged with defeating the ends of justice and will appear again in the Durban Magistrate’s Court later this month. They are currently in custody and have been granted Legal Aid representation.

On September 15, Dilley’s mother received an image of Dilley bound and gagged with ropes and bandages and a message that said she had been kidnapped. A few hours later, she received a telephone call from a man alleging that he had found the phone, covered in blood, at Anstey’s Beach, near Amanzimtoti.

Shortly after the matter was reported to the Brighton Beach police, a specialised task team was assembled and various hi-tech tracking and tracing techniques were utilised to search for Dilley.

Brighton Beach police spokesperson Captain Louise le Roux said police were concerned and feared the worst.

“We put all our available resources into the case because we feared she could have been murdered or seriously injured because of the call that claimed her phone had been found covered in blood. Our members worked through, using cellphone technology to trace her cellphone and thereby her whereabouts,” said Le Roux.

The Witness has learnt through a reliable source, that Dilley, who has a four-year-old son, had spent Saturday, September 15, partying at a Bluff nightclub, where she allegedly met with Wester. There they exchanged phone numbers and their BlackBerry pins. The couple contacted each other a day later and arranged to meet. Wester allegedly fetched Dilley and took her to his rented home in Islandview Road, where he introduced her to members of his family. Wester lived in a room in the basement of the house. It is believed the plot to fake the kidnapping was hatched there in an “attention-seeking” attempt.

There, it is believed, Dilley, was bound and tied with ropes and bandages, and even allegedly had black polish applied to her eye to make it appear as if she had been injured. Pictures of her in that condition were then taken and sent to her mother. The call to her mother, about the blood- covered phone being found, was also made from the Islandview Road home.

Police managed to track Dilley’s location from her cellphone activities and arranged to meet with her based on information supplied by her on a website, where she allegedly met people by appointment.

“Reservist Constable Jacque Stephen of SAPS Montclair tracked the phone. He managed to make contact with the alleged kidnapped victim, who answered the phone herself. Without knowing that she was talking to the police, she agreed to meet with her caller. She was subsequently arrested. Her alleged accomplice was traced and arrested at his place of employment,” said Le Roux.

Le Roux said the matter was seen in a serious light because of the waste of police resources.

“It is regrettable that people make false crime reports like this without considering the consequences of police resources being wasted. These resources could have been spent on addressing real crime. It is our responsibility, however, to accept each and every complaint with seriousness which we do, and did in this case,” said Le Roux.

• In October last year, Leon van Rensburg, from New Germany, Durban, was fined R30 000 or four years in jail after he was found guilty of perjury and defeating the ends of justice. His story unravelled after he sent a chilling text message to his 15-year-old daughter that read: “help, hijacked”. His car was found abandoned more than 200 kilometres from his office. It subsequently emerged that van Rensburg had not been hijacked. Instead, he had driven to Underberg and stayed at a backpackers’ lodge. He admitted that his dramatic tale of being hijacked and kidnapped had been a pack of lies and pleaded guilty in the Pinetown Magistrate’s Court.

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.