Glenwood pack do the job

2013-05-21 00:00

THE weather gods did not listen to the forecasters and Saturday turned out to be a magnificent day for rugby.

The televised match on Goldstones attracted a big crowd, while over at Voortrekker, the locals played Westville seconds as a curtain raiser to the Westville game against Port Natal.

In Durban, the clash on the Berea between DHS and Glenwood was the main attraction.

Glenwood 46 DHS 14

The Glenwood forwards did most of the hard work, as expected. DHS tried to contest the ball on the ground, but Glenwood’s physicality was too strong in the collisions.

As a result, Glenwood had little trouble securing high-quality ball, allowing them to dominate in all aspects of the game. What was surprising was that not one of the six tries scored was scored by the backline.

The Glenwood backs did much of the running, but it was support play by loose forward Jaco Coetzee (two tries) and Mzwandile Mazibuko that finished off the attacking moves.

Kyle Gerhard kicked two penalties and converted all three tries.

Kurt Webster put DHS into an early lead with a penalty, and following a Glenwood mistake from the kick off after Mazibuko’s try, DHS scored a controversial try by wing Sandile Bayela after a kick ahead. The ball appeared to go over the dead ball line before Biyela dived on it.

Webster missed the conversion, but added a late penalty to give DHS 11 points at half time to 27 by Glenwood.

Coetzee scored the first try in the second half from a rolling maul, again converted by Gerhard.

Webster added his second penalty for the home side to give them a commanding 34-14 lead. Lock Seth van den Heever was held up over the tryline and from the ensuing five metre scrum, Jo Potgieter, having just come on as a prop replacement, scored from his first touch of the ball. Potgieter was again on hand for the last try, which was converted, to give Glenwood the win.

Maritzburg College 30 KES 8

College, having played a few times in front of the TV cameras this season, were not overawed and they were quickly into their stride in the game.

The lineouts were much improved and with the tight phases dominated, College had the better of both territory and possession in the first half.

If it had not been for some committed tackling by the Johannesburg visitors the score at half time could have been much bigger than 20-3.

The second half saw KES winning more of the ball and they dominated the game for long periods. It was then College that had to put in some big tackles and it ended with a try apiece in a much more competitive half.

Marcel Coetzee and KES scrumhalf Brent Lucas traded penalties to leave the sides locked at 3-3 after first 20 minutes. From well within their own half, an alert College pressured a ball that came out the back of the ruck on KES’s side, won it and sent it down the line. The speed of Lindo Ngcobo on the right wing punished KES and College had their first try, which was converted by Jordan Koekemoer.

With Coetzee in the blood bin, Koekemoer added another penalty a few minutes later.

Hardworking No.8 Darren Goodsen set up the try of the match by getting over the gain line and passing to lock and captain Seko Buthelezi who moved through a gap, finding flank Jacques Conradie on his outside. He passed with soft hands to centre Simon Culverwell who went over.

Coetzee, back on the field, added the extra points.

After the restart, Coetzee added another three-pointer before KES put College under much pressure, which they absorbed, until eight minutes from the end when hooker Naas du Plessis scored from a pick and go, but the easy conversion went astray.

This fired College up and they got back into the KES red zone and Culverwell charged down a relieving kick to dive on the ball for his second and the last try which was converted.

St Stithians 0 Kearsney 62

Kearsney dominated play from the start, but poor ball control and many handling errors prevented the visitors from scoring any points early in the match. Captain Matt Reece-Edwards sparked the fire with a brilliant individual run of 60 metres from a break at the tail of the line out.

Tristian Tedder converted for a 7-0 lead. Four minutes later he managed another break to feed Dan du Preez who made good yardage before passing to his brother, Jean-Luc.

When tackled just short of the line, Jean-Luc flipped the ball back to his brother, who scored under the posts for Tedder to convert.

The Saints players defended with everything they had and restricted the score to 14-0 at half time.

Eight tries were scored in the second half, the first from flanker Jarred Hayes-Hill following a lineout drive. Wing Ryan van der Waal scored the next in the left-hand corner. Blair Cremer acted quickly on a lost ball in a tackle, sprinting 70 metres to score.

Van der Waal scored his second after fullback Chris Lines had created an overlap on attack. No. 8 Ayron Schramm scored from a scrum and Dan du Preez scored his second from running a good line next to the ruck.

Fittingly Reece-Edwards scored his second and the final try of the match from a counter-attack started by Dan du Preez and Lines.

Four of the tries scored in the second half were converted by Tedder.

Westville 45 Port Natal 14

This match was played late at Voortrekker in Pietermaritzburg, finishing under floodlights. Westville were given a fright in the first half as they were held to a 10-7 lead deep into the first half. Westville’s first try was scored by flyhalf Reece McHardy and converted by Louis Snyman.

Port Natal hit back when wing Karl Terblanche scored and converted by Hennie Jansen van Rensburg.

Westville then managed to work the ball towards the tryline, maintaining possession through a number of phases until lock Adrian Haysteck barged over. With Louis Snyman converting, the teams went into the break with Westville leading 17-7.

Replacement wing Keegan Paverd surprised Port Natal down the left touchline before passing inside to centre Brad Ellse who scored.

Their next try came from No.8 Zane Weir, who was quick to pick up a loose ball and dive over. Both were converted by Snyman for a 31-7 lead.

Westville were now rampant and some good running rugby resulted in Snyman and Ellse for his second, scoring the last two tries, which were both converted by Snyman.

Other results: Voortrekker 11 Westville II 48; Treverton 8 St Henrys 12; Northwood 50 Pinetown 0; Clifton 17 George Campbell 10; Thomas More 38 Ashton 7; Howick 17 Linpark 12; Westville III 40 Alexandra 0; Westville V 14 Amanzimtoti 0.

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.