IFP member kills ANC-supporting ex

2009-03-19 00:00

An IFP member killed his ex-girlfriend after she went to an ANC rally. He later hanged himself.

Local police have been blamed for ignoring complaints made before Thulisile Memela (25) of Creighton was killed by her former boyfriend, Michael Dlamini.

The couple broke up last year after Memela, who was previously an IFP supporter, joined the ANC.

According to reports, the couple started fighting and Dlamini stabbed Memela in the face. When the stabbing incident was reported to the police, no action was taken against Dlamini.

Memela’s cousin, who did not want to be identified, told The Witness that the police knew about the couple’s dispute.

“Early this year, Memela was accompanied by the police when she went to fetch her belongings from Dlamini’s house.”

On Sunday, March 8, Memela went to an ANC election rally in Mzinkhulu [where ANC Deputy president Kgalema Motlanthe addressed the crowds] and her ex-boyfriend was enraged.

On the Tuesday after the rally, Dlamini confronted Memela and asked her what she had been wearing at the rally.

“She told him that she was wearing a Zuma T-shirt. He took her into nearby bush and threatened to use petrol to set her alight. While they were in the bush, Dlamini received a call from a person telling him not to harm my cousin. He then released her.”

The following morning, Memela’s uncle called the Creighton police station and complained about Dlamini’s threats. “The police said there were no vehicles at the police station so they could not attend.”

“On Thursday evening at about 8 pm, Dlamini attacked Memela at her house and stabbed her in front of her two children [aged three and 18 months],” said the cousin.

Memela’s father, Ziboni Gambu (52), was in the house when the attack occurred, but could not protect his daughter, as Dlamini threatened to shoot him.

This time the police responded but Memela was already dead when they arrived.

Dlamini fled and the police searched for him until they found his body hanging from a tree in a forest on Friday, March 13.

SAPS spokesman Captain Vincent Pandarum denied that the police failed to respond to the incidents.

“No such complaint was received by any member who was on duty at the station on Wednesday… The station commissioner was at the station [on Wednesday] and there were three vehicles, including his, that would have been used to respond.”

Pandarum said a case of this nature would not have been “brushed aside”. He challenged the family to provide cellphone records to prove the call was made to the Creighton station.


Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.