KZN sides raise flag high

2014-05-13 00:00

A FULL weekend of fixtures had mixed results for KZN’s major schools. Maritzburg College played out to a thrilling draw against KES, while Northwood, Glenwood and Westville flew the Durban flag high with convincing wins.


Following two arduous festivals in Johannesburg and Kimberley, College were back in a bus to JHB to face a KES side that had found some momentum following a good win over Noord Kaap at Wildeklawer. College were under no illusions what this game meant to KES on their Old Boys’ day.

The game started at a frenetic pace but some early pressure from the College team earned them a penalty, which Marcel Coetzee converted. Some poor handling at the kick-off and average defence let KES into the College half and from the ensuing ruck College were adjudged to be offside; 3-3 it was and the game was on. KES used some clever tactics in the next period of play and attacked through the middle of the rucks gaining valuable ground with off loads in the tackle. The end result was a try under the posts that was converted to make it 10-3.

This seemed to spark the College team into action and the next few minutes belonged to the visitors. Some good structure sucked in the KES defenders and allowed space for Marcel Coetzee to ghost through a gap and score in the corner. The difficult conversion was good from the same player and the scores were locked at 10-10. Decision making from the kick-off was once again poor and a mistake led to KES having a scrum deep in College’s half. The same direct tactics were used and KES were suddenly 17-10 up. The score stayed the same until the half-time whistle and it was a relief for the College boys to be able to regroup.

The second half started with College the dominant side. Two tries from Goi le Roux, one from a penalty move and the other from a great lineout drive, put College ahead 22-17 after Coetzee was successful with one of the conversions. One felt that College just needed to keep their heads and play to their structures to take the game away from the hosts.

Unfortunately mistakes once again plagued the visitors. A close-range penalty brought KES to within two points and then a terrible lineout throw from College went over the top and into the hands of the KES flank. A few phases later and they had scored the softest of tries. The conversion was missed and KES led 25-22. The rest of the game belonged to College and they camped in the KES 22 searching for the winning try. On three occasions they were a metre or so short but the KES defence was holding. Three penalties were given in front of the poles but the three points were turned down in favour of going for the try. Panic can only be blamed for the missed chances that ensued. Poor lineout throwing and poor decision making on attack prevented College from going over for what would have been the winning try. With time up a further penalty was awarded and the decision to finally take the points for a draw was made.


On a cold and overcast Saturday afternoon Kearsney played Clifton College on Stott field for the first time ever.

The first points were scored by Kearsney captain Tristan Tedder, after he broke the Clifton defence through one of his chip-and-chase kicks. Tedder converted his own try to put the score at 7-0.

Kearsney were awarded a free-kick off a scrum, in which scrumhalf James Hall took a quick tap to allow Jesse Rich to get close to the Clifton try line. The momentum allowed Kearsney eighth-man Tristan Dixon to score from a pick and go, making it 12-0.

Clifton responded by opening their score with a penalty kick (12-3). Kearsney then responded quickly, applying immense pressure on the Clifton try-line again. From a five-metre Clifton scrum, the visitors gathered the ball and kicked. Kearsney counter-attacked, allowing left wing David Zondi to score in the left corner. Tedder again converted, making it 19-3.

He added further to the score by a penalty kick (22-3) and Kearsney tight-head prop David Brown also crossed the white chalk from a pick and go. Tedder converted, to put the score-line at 29-3.

Kearsney flanker Patrick Zietkiewicz gathered the ball from a Clifton lineout and also went over for a try, which Tedder converted. The half-time score was 36-3.

The second half of the game was very disappointing from the Kearsney team. Clifton raised their game and only allowed Kearsney to score one try in the half. A well-worked backline move allowed Kearsney scrumhalf James Hall to cross over; and another successful conversion by Tedder took the score to 43-3.

Clifton never gave up and eventually the flanker scored a well-deserved try to ensure a final score of 43-8.


The host team were playing their first game on their home field and were keen to put on a good display in front of a massive crowd of local spectators.

The opening 10 minutes was a close affair as both sides battled for dominance up front. Westville were first on the scoreboard after winger Shane Ball made an excellent line break and fellow winger, James Wheeler showed a great turn of pace to finish in the right corner. Kyan Braithwaite then added the conversion from the touchline. The visitors began to dominate the game territorially and converted this pressure into points when eighth man Teigen Erasmus scored under the poles and Braithwaite added the conversion and two penalties to give Westville a comfortable 20-point lead at the half-time break.

The home team came out swinging in the second half and looked to close the deficit on the scoreboard. They were aided by the visitors’ poor discipline, which saw one player yellow carded. Pretoria Boys’ used their numerical advantage to score a try through their captain, Jake Blew. They were unsuccessful with the conversion but the home team now had their tails up. Westville were able to weather the storm and gradually regained the ascendancy through their excellent defence. Westville scored a further two tries; the first was sparked by a linebreak from centre Wayne Smith and finished by fullback Bradley Smith, the second came from a well executed lineout drive that saw Teigen Erasmus score a brace. Braithwaite added a conversion and a penalty goal to take the final score to 35-5.


The 133rd meeting between Glenwood and DHS saw hosts Glenwood winning 38-13, meaning they improve to 54 wins versus DHS’s 68, with 11 draws since the first game in 1922.

During this match, DHS did well to keep the score at 0-0 for the first 33 minutes but after that the floodgates opened and Glenwood scored six tries in 29 minutes before DHS got a consolation try.

The first half produced only seven points but it was action-packed. A common theme played out in the half. Glenwood would apply attacking pressure, get into the DHS redzone, look like they were about to score from the next phase of play and then DHS would produce a “get out of jail card”. It was all credit to the DHS defence at that stage, as the visitors refused to lie down and showed a lot of spirit.

Glenwood’s opening try came in 34th minute. Philani Ngcobo fielded a highball kick out of danger and brought it back. Soon the ball was in the hands of the dangerous line-breaking Sparks Ngcobo, who has been a revelation at outside centre this season. He got through a hole as he so often does and for the first time in the match, the DHS last line of defence failed as Sparks bounced off the would-be tackler and ran in for a try, making it 7-0 at the break, with inside centre Donny du Randt taking over the kicking duties.

Four minutes into the second half, DHS once again did not find touch with a relieving kick. Soon afterwards, Donny du Randt had the chance to exhibit the invaluable explosiveness he has by getting around his midfield marker with ease and then racing in for the try, making it 12-0.

Glenwood’s fitness and upper body strength proved to be important as their pack took control from there on.


Hosts Northwood have beaten Hilton College for the first time since their outstanding first team led by Michael Alison won 12-6 back in 1991.

This was a match of two halves. The first half belonged to Hilton, who played the far more constructive game in the opening 35 minutes and enjoyed territorial advantage. However, they could not translate this into a lead on the scoreboard and changed ends at 7-11 down.

Under the floodlights, Northwood upped their game considerably in the second half. The noticeable difference appeared to be that Northwood were operating as a team with good cohesion, while Hilton became reliant on individuals with no one really seeming to be on the same page. In this second period the big Northwood pack of forwards gained the upper hand, the home team’s tactical kicking was also more effective and most importantly their backs began to move the ball through the hands nicely.

As a result the Northwood Knights scored three tries versus a late consolation try by Hilton in this second stanza.


The 58th encounter between the two schools took place under totally different playing conditions to what the home side has become accustomed to this season. With waves of mist rolling in from the hills and the temperature only just in the double figures, the banks of Meadows were more sparsely packed.

The St Charles pack arrived at Michaelhouse with a reputation for physicality and their ability to mix it with the opposition in all phases. Both teams were determined to show off their skills early on, but it was the home side who were first to put points on the board through a penalty by flyhalf Bader Pretorius. The first half saw St Charles penalised a number of times at the breakdown and this allowed Michaelhouse to accumulate more points through tries by centres Tyran Faber and Brandon Tattam. Pretorius also added two more penalties.

Just minutes before the break, St Charles capitalised on an error by Michaelhouse and managed to score a converted try taking the visitors into half time trailing by 12.

The second half was a less closely contested affair and it seemed as though conditions and the free running interplay between the Michaelhouse backs and forwards were conspiring against the visitors. It was one-way traffic as Michaelhouse scored a further five tries, three of which were converted by Pretorius. St Charles managed a penalty, which did little to stem the exuberant flow of the home team’s game as they ran out deserved 50-10 victors.

Othe results

Port Natal 20 - 15 Voortrekker.

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


WATCH: Man films himself going down water slide upside down as things go very wrong…

What is at first an exciting tummy-turning adventure stunt, quickly turns into a scarily bad idea caught on camera. Take a look:


You won't want to miss...

WATCH: Conor McGregor: Notorious the trailer
Best date night restaurants in South Africa
WATCH: Ryan Reynolds offers fans a free tattoo in new Deadpool 2 teaser
Should you date your co-worker?
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.