Maritzburg’s Bester and Sibisi end students’ unbeaten run

2010-12-23 00:00

IT was the worst possible result for BidVest Wits before the Christmas break as they saw their unbeaten run at home ended by a Diyo Sibisi goal six minutes from time.

Maritzburg ended up winning the Absa Premiership match played at the Mbombela stadium last night 2-1.

The home side struggled in the opening stages of the match as they were unable to find any passing rhythm. The visiting side, on the other hand, made their intentions clear early on and were on the attack from the first whistle

United’s first attempt on goal came in the sixth minute when John Arwuah let fly with a powerful shot from roughly 25-yards out, but the Students’ keeper, Darren Keet, was alert to the danger and made a fine save diving to his right to tip the effort around the post.

Thereafter, both sides struggled to create chances in front of goal because of poor passes in the final third of the field. That was until the 32nd minute when Nyiko Tshabangu should have given Wits the lead.

A good passing movement saw Tshabangu with the ball unmarked and 12-yards out from goal, but his shot lacked power and Shu-Aib Walters made a comfortable save.

The second half saw Wits come out firing and almost took the lead four minutes into the half. Sifiso Myeni pulled the best out of Walters when he tested him with a venomous shot from the edge of the 18-yard box.

It was a chance Myeni would regret missing when his side went behind in the 67th minute. Rudolph Bester picked up the ball for Maritzburg in the middle of the park and drove towards the Wits goal before letting fly with the 1-0 shot.

Then, in the 75th minute Roger de Sa made an inspired substitution when he threw on Letsie Koapeng. As soon as Koapeng stepped on the field he made the world of difference and after only being on for four minutes he levelled matters for his team.

Another substitute, Enrico Adolph, set up the goal after some good work down the flank before he provided an inch perfect pass for Koapeng who was standing six-yards out from goal.

The Wits player made no mistake with a clinical finish to level the scores, 1-1.

And just as Wits looked to have consolidated their unbeaten run at home, Diyo Sibisi restored Maritzburg’s lead six minutes from time with a well placed header, 2-1.

That is the way the match ended as United picked up the three points and Wits saw their unbeaten run at home come to an end.

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.