One dead in violent march

2010-12-01 00:00

ONE person was killed and 18 others were arrested when a protest march turned violent in uMzinto on Monday.

About 50 people had gathered at the uMzinto municipal grounds to march on the ANC-managed municipal offices to hand over a memorandum listing their concerns over electricity cut-offs.

Permission was granted for the march to take place between 10 am and noon.

At 10 am, before the march began, the SA Police Force explained the conditions of the march to the assembled protesters.

The police advised businesses in the area to close for 15 minutes while the march made its way through the streets of the town.

According to an official police report, trouble started early in the march when the protesters strayed from the area they were allowed to march in and blocked both lanes of the road, bringing traffic to a halt.

Police officers intervened and a lane was opened up.

The marchers arrived at the municipal offices at about 11:30am only to find the doors locked.

By noon the leaders of the march had established that there was nobody to receive the memorandum.

As the protesters became increasingly angry, the police gave them one hour to disperse.

When the hour was up, the police again instructed the protesters to disperse within a further 15 minutes.

Some of the protesters started gathering bricks, stones and pipes. After several stones were thrown at the police officers and vehicles, the unit shot two stun grenades over the crowd.

The protesters turned riotous and the police shot at the crowd with rubber bullets.

The police report notes that the rioters attacked civilians, burnt tyres, portable toilets and garbage, and brought construction work to a halt.

The report also noted that the protesters looted several businesses at 1.35 pm.

Three policemen were injured and vehicles and property were damaged.

The name of the dead person has not been released.

A team of municipal delegates finally received memorandum at 3 pm and the protesters dispersed about an hour later.

Police spokesperson Lieutenant-Colonel Zandra Wiid said, “We are awaiting a postmortem to determine how the person was killed …this was a very unfortunate turn of events.”

The 18 protesters who were arrested appeared in court yesterday.

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.