Probe ‘too slow’

2015-04-21 00:00

FAMILIES of the Fezokuhle children killed and injured in January’s Imbali horror crash say they are perturbed by the slow pace of the investigation.

In late January this year a bakkie loaded with over 24 children from ­Fezokuhle Primary School ploughed into a house, killing eight pupils and injuring more than 16.

The bakkie driver, Lungile Mthimkhulu, was critically injured and has ­refused interviews with the press since the accident three months ago.

She was discharged from hospital a few weeks after the accident.

Police yesterday said the case is still under investigation and when the ­investigation is completed, the docket will be sent to the public prosecutor for a decision.

Spokesperson Major Thulani Zwane said the driver’s whereabouts are known to the police.

Parents of the children who were ­involved in the crash have complained that investigations are taking too long and they want to hear what happened from Mthimkhulu herself.

Philisile Njoko, the mother of two children critically injured in the crash, said they had met with police last week to discuss the progress.

“We spoke with police and they told us to wait for them to finish with their investigation. We understand but what I want to know is, why have we not heard anything from the bakkie ­driver?”

Njoko, whose son and daughter remained in the intensive care unit of Edendale Hospital for almost a month after the crash, said she wanted to know where the bakkie driver was and why the investigation was taking so long.

“We all feel the same. Eight children are dead. Why is she still at home?”

Simphiwe Chonco, whose daughter Sinethemba Chonco, was killed in the crash, said he and his family had not heard anything from the bakkie driver.

“She has not come to see our family to explain what happened but we really cannot comment on how we feel because we don’t have any information on what caused the crash.”

He said they had spoken to police last week with the other families and could not comment further on the matter as the case was still under investigation.

A police source who could not be named said all the evidence on the case had to be collected and sorted before any charges could be made.

They said it was a high priority case and the police wanted to make sure in everything they had their ducks in a row to “make sure nothing will go wrong”.


Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.