Protesters use rotten meat

2012-12-18 00:00

FRUSTRATED kwaMpumuza residents dumped rotten meat at the Pietemaritzburg electricity department’s main entrance in Havelock Road yesterday afternoon.

The protesters scattered fly-infested fish, braai packs, chicken feet and red meat all over the entrance.

The residents have had no electricty since Saturday and said the power outage had spoiled their Christmas food.

Mdu Zuma told The Witness that meat worth about R2 200 was getting spoiled in his fridge.

“This period is a busy season for us because we take part in stokvels and it was on that Saturday when the power went off that my stokvel distributed meat.”

Zuma, who also owns a tuck shop, said his stock was worth lots of money and would also go to waste.

“We’re battling with electricity in our area. Every time there’s a slight wind or lightning, it goes off and when we report it to the municipality, they take their time to fix it.”

Zuma said that seven years ago, residents locked municipal staff in their office until their electricity problems were addressed.

“The municipality only listens to us once we’ve taken drastic measures,” he added.

Bongani Shange said he had not had his anti-retroviral drugs since Saturday because he has not had a decent meal.

“I can’t take pills on an empty stomach or bread alone. It’s not good for me,” he lamented.

Yesterday the residents were planning to camp at the electricity offices until their power supply was restrored.

The Dunveria area in Northdale has also been without power since Saturday.

“When you call the call centre, they keep on telling you that they’re working on it, but they haven’t done anything,” said one resident, adding that she was living on sandwiches and water.

Msunduzi municipal spokesperson Nqobile Madonda said the power outages were due to the severe storm that struck the city at the weekend.

Hilton, Sweetwaters and Bishopstowe were also without electricity.

“The power line and trees went down and some sub-stations caught fire because of the storm, but at least there was no loss of life.”

Madonda said the power outages could not be avoided and pointed out that the storm had caused more damage in other areas.

She said throwing meat at the the offices was not a solution, and that the residents needed to follow the proper channels and file insurance claims for damages.

By the time of going to press, she said the electricians had located the fault and were working on it.

• In Copesville, power went off yesterday due to faulty cables and the sub-station blew up, reportedly because of overloading caused by illegal connections.

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.