Pupils save granny, pets

2014-04-15 00:00

THREE courageous Carter High pupils have been hailed as heroes for braving an inferno to rescue a stricken 83-year-old woman and her two dogs just seconds before the roof of her home collapsed.

Montrose resident Louisa Boshoff (83) was taking an afternoon nap when she awoke to find her Townbush Road simplex on fire.

She ran out and screamed for help for about 10 minutes before Terrel Gouws, who turns 17 tomorrow, Calvin Scannell (18) and Luke Pieterse (18) — all in Grade 12 at Carter High School — came to her rescue.

Pieterse said he and his friends were driving past at around 3 pm on Friday when they saw the fire. “We drove past then decided to do a U-turn and drove into her driveway,” he said.

Terrel said their first thought was for Boshoff’s safety, but then realised that her dogs were also trapped inside the house, which was well alight.

“We agreed that we were not going to leave them to burn because we love dogs so much. When Mrs Boshoff saw us, she ran back into the house and we ran after her,” he said.

Pieterse said when they got inside the house, they realised that they were inhaling toxic fumes from the smoke.

“We decided to leave the house and go outside, where we took off our shirts because we were still in school uniform, and we covered our mouths and noses to avoid inhaling more toxic fumes,” he said.

“We crawled back inside the house because we could find our way better like that and the smoke was less concentrated on the ground, and then helped carry the lady out.”

Boshoff had been slightly scorched by the flames and seemed to have been overcome by the smoke.

With Boshoff safely out of harm’s way, they went back into the house to rescue her dogs.

This, however, proved difficult because the fire had engulfed the house by then, but they were resolved they could not leave without saving the dogs, who recovered well after their ordeal.

“When I saw Mrs Boshoff screaming, all I wanted to do was to help her. At the time, I did not think about myself, so the adrenaline kicked in. We seemed to know pretty much what we were doing because we were determined to save their lives, but it only dawned on us later how much we had placed our lives in danger. About 30 seconds after we rescued the dogs, the roof collapsed,” said Pieterse.

Scannell said he just wanted to help Boshoff out of the house “because I was afraid that because the kitchen was on fire, something might explode as the windows were already shattered”.

“I was not scared because we needed to help this lady.”

Terrel said, “I just thought we needed to do our best to ensure the safety of every­one who was inside the house. I also knew it was up to us to do so because we were the only ones there, so we needed to do our best.”

Thinking about their safety was far from their minds — “It was not about us”.

Terrel said their lungs were still sore yesterday when they inhaled deeply.

The three boys unanimously said they had learnt that one does not always think about oneself if an opportunity presents itself to help, but one just acts instinctively.

A proud Pieterse said yesterday the school applauded them and “everyone was calling us heroes, but that’s not why we did it”.

Carter High marketing manager Jenny Rogers said the boys were yesterday presented with community service awards at a special assembly to acknowledge their heroic efforts, and to encourage others to follow suit.

Boshoff’s son and daughter-in-law David and Colleen Boshoff yesterday expressed their gratitude to the boys.

“My mother-in-law is recovering well in Daymed Hospital after the incident and we have been able to find her other accommodation.

“We have been very blessed and we are grateful there are still heroes,” said Colleen.

• thobani.ngqulunga@witness.co.za

Msunduzi Fire Operations Manager Essack Khan said people should phone them directly to avoid delays or placing their lives in danger by trying to put out a fire alone.

He said the boys had done well, but they should rather call them in future because more people die as a result of inhaling toxic fumes than from burns. “We don’t encourage what they did even though it helped save lives, becaused they placed themselves in great danger,” he said.

Khan said people caught in a building fire should crawl because cool air sinks and warm air rises, and this would help people find their way out of the burning area.

For any fire emergencies, call 0800 033911 or 033 8455911.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


5 top leg exercises for men

Here’s our selection of the five best leg exercises that you can do in the comfort of your own home.


You won't want to miss...

WATCH: Pornhub is giving users free access to premium content this holidays
5 top leg exercises for men
10 best dressed men of 2017
How to open a beer bottle without an opener
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.