Robbery kingpin nailed

2014-09-26 00:00

A CRACK team of PMB investigators nailed a prolific business robbery kingpin in a night-time take-down after a pursuit across two provinces.

The man is allegedly responsible for a spate of heists and a double-murder in the Eastern Cape.

His arrest in a pre-dawn raid followed a month-long investigation, with a crack team of private detectives hunkering down in small towns in the Eastern Cape searching for the elusive trigger-man.

Magma Security’s elite investigation team had deployed to the foothills of Ntabankulu and set up camp.

By day the team set out across the rural hamlets, plying informers with cash for any trace of their gunman.

Rumours swirled after the gang traded fire with a shop owner and his sons in a crowded shop. When the dust settled, blood lay splashed about SaveRite Supermarket.

Four people had been killed, including shop owner Ebrahim Jamal, two of the well-armed gunmen and a 14-year-old boy who was felled in the fray.

Slowly information trickled through, and led the team of elite cops and investigators to Durban.

After three weeks of careful investigation, officers sped to Durban and surrounded a shack in Kennedy Road.

A silent pause was followed by the splintering of wood and screams and boots thundered into the shack.

In shackles, the prolific ringleader was led from his Durban hideaway and will now face a string of charges in the Bizana Magistrate’s Court.

It is understood that the ringleader had dashed to Durban to lie low, after the double murder in the robbery went awry.

Magma Security CEO Shaheen Sulieman said the gang leader had moved between the provinces, and can be linked to seven violent raids in small towns near the border of KZN and the Eastern Cape.

Sulieman said a team of private detectives and police tracked the suspect to the Kennedy Road informal settlement in Sydenham.

“We managed to identify the shack where he lived and arrested him with little resistance,” he said.

The services of Sulieman were secured by a business collective, who insisted that they had become soft targets for increasingly hostile robbers.

“The Magma team camped in Ntabankulu for five days. We got information on Tuesday night that the main suspect was in Durban and that ultimately led to his arrest,” Suliema said.

“When we arrested him we found that he had been shot three times during the exchange of fire, but they were all superficial wounds,” he added.

The suspect was detained by members of the Hawks and is expected to appear in the Bizana Magistrate’s Court today.

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.