Schoolboys give it their all

2014-09-02 00:00

BLUSTERY conditions played havoc with the schools soccer fixtures last week, with sides battling to control the ball.

It was difficult to find any shape and pattern on the field with the long ball failing to find its mark in many instances.

Nonetheless, the lads were out there, giving their all for their school and trying gamely to find the net.

Maritzburg College 2 - 3 Westville Boys’ High School

Playing at College, keeping the ball on the ground was the trick as anything aerial was taken hostage by the wind.

Westville started well, attacking the College box with a multitude of crosses, asking questions of the defence.

Nothing found the mark though and College were content to soak it up and catch Westville on the break.

College found the Westville defence equally adept at keeping them out but it all changed in the 26th minute when Westville’s pressure was finally rewarded.

Shane Ball’s cross was cleared out the box but the ball fell for Mpilo Shange whose rasping volley from 30 metres hit the spot. It was a shortlived lead though as the visitors conceded a soft goal within two minutes of scoring, allowing College to level from a long throw-in.

Westville seemed to lose their way for a period, allowing College to take the lead before half time as the sides went for a breather with the hosts 2-1 ahead.

Needing to level terms, Westville came out with purpose for the second half and scored soon after the restart.

Tony Mahlangu robbed a College defender of the ball and slotted home, the ball finding the bottom right corner.

Both sides remained disciplined on defence and both had opportunities to seal the deal without being successful.

The deciding moment came when Mahlangu went over in the College box and the referee pointed to the spot.

Kyan Braithwaite took the kick, hammering into the bottom left corner to give his side a hard fought 3-2 win.

Glenwood 1 - 1 Northwood

This was a midweek match, played at Northwood, with an evening kick-off. By the time the start had arrived, a fierce north-easterly had brewed up, making it tricky for the players.

Glenwood played into the wind in the first period and created some chances, the best coming from a superb free-kick which rebounded off the Northwood crossbar.

The sides changed ends at 0-0 and the deadlock was broken by Glenwood’s Phumi Ndwandwe, whose 40-yard strike, boosted by the wind, sailed over the keeper into the net.

Northwood also had their fair share of opportunities, the crossbar denying them once and a few shots going wide of the mark.

Controversy reared its head though when Northwood equalised. Midway through the second half, Northwood were awarded a free kick at the edge of the box and, while the ref was ensuring the Glenwood wall was formed correctly, the kick was taken, resulting in Northwood’s striker tapping into the net.

The referee had not blown his whistle yet the goal stood. This saw emotions run high and with two minutes remaining, there was an incident involving players and the linesman, resulting in the game being called off at 1-1.

Kearsney 0 - 0 St Charles

Playing at Botha’s Hill on Saturday, both sides struggled to come to terms with the wind factor, resulting in an untidy clash.

Passes and shots more often than not were wayward and the scoreless results was, in hindsight, a fair reflection for both sides.

Both sides had chances but these were not taken.

Linpark 4 - 2 College

Played last Thursday at College, both sides were keen for a win after they had drawn 3-3 in their previous meeting in the Maritzburg Cup.

Linpark were first out the blocks, Pumlani Kunene heading home from a corner to stun the hosts. The lead was doubled soon after when Luvuyo Sithole converted a penalty after a Linpark player was pulled down in the box.

College pulled a goal back and there was all to play for as the second half kicked off with Linpark 2-1 ahead.

They struck first again, Thabiso Dlamini on the end of a long pass from midfield which he controlled well to hit past the keeper.

College again pulled one back and were fortunate to see Sithole miss Linpark’s second penalty after some ill-discipline in the penalty area.

As the game became more physical, both team pushed hard for the win but Linpark’s Andiswa Ndawonde had the final say, getting the ball in the net after a goalmouth scramble for a memorable 4-2 win.

Other Results

DHS 0 - 1 Hilton

Clifton 3 - 2 Michaelhouse

Hillcrest High 0 - 6 Kloof.

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.