ONE of the two people arrested for the latest killings of senior ANC figures on the South Coast is scheduled to apply for bail in the Port Shepstone Magistrates’ Court today. The state is expected to oppose Samuel Cele’s application, prosecutor Sohena Moodley having said as much at his last appearance exactly a week ago. Cele and Oshabeni ANC Youth League chairperson Sifiso Khumalo were arrested shortly after a shooting earlier this month at Mehlomnyane that left Dumisani Malunga and Bheko Chiliza dead. Malunga was the ruling party’s branch chairperson at Oshabeni and Chiliza was an ANC member. The two had just given a lift to a comrade from an ANC meeting when they were shot. Moodley said the state would oppose bail on the grounds that Cele (34) and Khumalo (31) were up for a Schedule Six offence and that they were accused of a premeditated murder. The two have parted from one another in the dock since Khumalo pleaded guilty and turned state witness. Protesters bearing placards demonstrated at the hearings at Port Shepstone Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday and at Ramsgate High Court the following day when Khumalo entered the courtroom, but did not appear in the dock. Rumours were rife that he would plead guilty, but that happened only on Monday, in the high court in Pietermaritzburg. — Witness Reporter.