Sibaya runs for his life

2011-01-06 00:00

BAFANA Bafana midfielder McBeth Sibaya had to run for his life when incensed players and supporters wanted an explanation from him about the prize money he has put aside for his inaugural social football tournament in his hometown of Hammarsdale.

This was after a tense meeting between teams that were set to contest the final and the organising committee at Mpumalanga Stadium, where teams and supporters demanded answers from the Russia-based player about the promised prize money.

The games, which kicked off on December 31 and were scheduled to conclude on Monday, pitted local teams against each other.

According to representatives of the teams that were set to slug it out in the final, problems started after they were informed by the organising committee that they were fighting for R2 000 prize money. Two South FC and Woodglen FC were expected to play in the final.

“We were initially told that the winners will pocket R10 000,” said player Tshepo Lebona of Two South FC, adding “but we were shocked when the organisers changed all of a sudden about the prize money.”

Woodglen FC coach Mandla Ngubane added: “It is clear we were taken for a ride here, hence we wanted answers from the relevant parties. All we were questioning was why suddenly the prize money has been changed. They cannot reduce the prize money now without considering what will happen should these kids get serious injuries and need urgent medical attention. What about the referees as well. How much are they going to get paid. They can’t be paid peanuts.”

They added they decided to boycott the final because they were unhappy with the answers from the organising committee.

Tom Cyril from the organising committee said: “We can’t be swayed by teams who want to dictate rules. They are lying about the change of prize money. All they wanted was to be given money each instead of playing the final. The truth here is that upon discovering that there are teams who played three matches, which was not supposed to happen, we wanted to come up with a solution.”

The Witness’s sources revealed that even Sibaya’s attempts to calm the situation failed and he had to flee. Some closed the gates, demanding answers from him. Luckily he got off in his white BMW X6 unhurt.

Approached for comment, Sibaya said. “I am driving at the moment so I can’t talk to you. Call me after three hours.”

When contacted later, he would not pick up the calls.

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.