Single mother suspects drink spiked at night club

2011-06-24 00:00

Jolene Crosby, of Scottsville, suspects that her water jug was spiked while she went to the bathroom.

“When you go to the dance floor you are not permitted to take your drinks with you. You leave them on the ledge,” said Crosby.

She told The Witness that she only had four drinks, mineral water and a passion fruit cocktail.

When she got home at midnight, she became violently sick.

“I was literally hanging over the toilet vomiting,” she said.

She said her heart was palpitating, she blacked out for about eight minutes and was unable to move, and felt paralysed as she lay on her bed.

She was taken to hospital, but nurses delayed taking blood samples.

A week later she contacted the club via Facebook and told the manager about the incident. But when she said her blood tests were negative, that was the end of the conversation.

She was also refused the right to view the CCTV footage.

“After I told the manager my blood had come back clear they didn’t contact me again, and were not interested at all. I felt like they didn’t believe me.

“I’m not a teenager. I’m a responsible mother. I’m not a heavy drinker and I don’t even have alcohol in my house,” said Crosby.

She said she has not been to the club since the incident because she feels it does not care about its patrons.

Crowded House owner Carlos de Freitas said there is nothing they could have done because the blood tests were negative and that there was no evidence.

“I’ve been running this club for 15 years and not one person has ever come to me with positive blood reports,” De Freitas added.

He told The Witness that many girls arrive drunk at the club.

He said there are many factors that could have resulted in Crosby getting sick, such as drinking on an empty stomach, and added, “People come to clubs to drink and spiked drink cases are isolated.”

Police spokesperson Warrant Officer Joey Jeevan said drink spiking is a serious matter and culprits will be prosecuted.

“These cases have become more common and people should be aware,” Jeevan added.

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.