Unmarried fathers have full parental rights and responsibilities

2013-09-26 00:00

RECENTLY, I have represented several unmarried fathers who are at pains to have contact with and be involved in the lives of their minor children, but the mothers are simply refusing contact or being obstructive and doing everything in their power not to allow the father near his minor children.

One mother simply packed her minor children up and moved them to the United Kingdom, while another mother drove through farm gates while the minor child was in the car, in order to stage that she was being attacked by the father. On about September 4, 1998, the Natural Fathers of Children born out of Wedlock Act, No. 86 of 1997, came into operation, which created the possibility of a court granting guardianship, custody or access to an unmarried father, subject to certain conditions. This act has now been repealed and replaced by s21 of the Children’s Act, No. 38 of 2005.

An unmarried father now has full parental responsibilities and rights in respect of a child born out of wedlock, if:

• at the time of the child’s birth he was living with the mother in a permanent life partnership; or

• he, regardless of whether he has lived or is living with the mother,

i. consents to be identified as the child’s father or pays damages in terms of customary law;

ii. contributes or has attempted in good faith to contribute to the child’s upbringing for a reasonable period; and

iii. contributes or has attempted in good faith to contribute towards expenses in connection with the maintenance of the child for a reasonable period.

If there is a dispute between the unmarried father and the mother of the child, with regard to the fulfilment by the father of the conditions as set out above, the matter must be referred for mediation to a family advocate, social worker, social-service professional or other suitably qualified person.

Note that s21 applies from July 1, 2007, regardless of whether a child was born before or after the act. In terms of s22, the mother of a child may enter into an agreement providing for the acquisition of parental responsibilities and rights in respect of the child with the biological father of the child who does not have parental responsibilities and rights in terms of s21 (unmarried fathers) or by court order. An unmarried father who, for whatever reason, does not comply with the conditions of s21(1), may still have such responsibilities and rights in terms of an agreement with the mother. In light of the above, and in most circumstances, unmarried fathers have the same rights and responsibilities as mothers.

• Claudia Garella founded Garella Attorneys which specialises in the practice of law.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


WATCH: Man films himself going down water slide upside down as things go very wrong…

What is at first an exciting tummy-turning adventure stunt, quickly turns into a scarily bad idea caught on camera. Take a look:


You won't want to miss...

WATCH: Conor McGregor: Notorious the trailer
Best date night restaurants in South Africa
WATCH: Ryan Reynolds offers fans a free tattoo in new Deadpool 2 teaser
Should you date your co-worker?
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.