Victim helped catch rapist

2012-05-02 00:00

THE brave woman who helped police nab the notorious Bisley railway rapist begged him not to rape her as she was pregnant. But he did anyway.

She turned the tables, however, by assisting in his arrest, but it also meant she had once again to meet the monster who had lured her and other women by pretending to offer them jobs.

She was prepared to do this to save other women from falling victim to his dirty tricks.

She told The Witness she knew there was a bigger picture.

“I wanted him to get arrested so that this whole thing could pass and to be able to get on with my life.”

At first, the thought of facing him terrified her, said the woman.

She didn’t know what to expect, she said.

Then, under police guidance, she called the man from the tavern where she worked, pretending to follow up on the job he had promised her.

“I asked where he was. He said he was around. I didn’t tell him I was at work,” she said.

However, shortly after the chat, he walked into the tavern.

“I was shocked,” she said. “I didn’t expect to see him.”

She said she stood trembling in fear, her mind suddenly flooded with flashbacks of the rape.

However, she managed to keep calm, putting on a straight face and pretending that nothing was wrong, she said.

“I went to him and greeted him,” she said.

“As we were speaking, I asked him about the job he had offered me before. I told him I was still interested. He told me to meet him the next morning so that he could take me to his boss,” she said. They chatted until the tavern owner walked in. Then, she got up and told her boss about him.

“I pointed at the rapist and told him that this was the guy who raped me,” she said. “I told him to close the doors in the tavern.”

As the doors closed,The man became suspicious and bolted. The woman immediately called the police, who were not far away.

They chased him and arrested him.

She praised the police for making the arrest, saying they had made her feel protected.

The 32-year-old rapist made the first of his attacks in February. He raped seven women.

She went on to say her life had completely changed since being raped.

Flashbacks haunt her whenever she closes her eyes.

“When I think about him or see his face it all comes back to me. Everything that happened on that day … the whole picture, it all comes back,” she said, gazing into open space.

At four months’ pregnant, the only thing she could think of was her unborn child.

“I told him I was pregnant.”

She paused and then said: “He said I was lying and then raped me.”

The woman said she feels “dead” inside after what happened, but has to carry on with her life.


Team work did it

HEAD of the Midlands detectives and former Scorpions boss Brigadier Clifford Marion, who led the team that investigated the case, said they were determined to catch the rapist in the shortest possible time to save more women from falling victim to him.

On April 11, the intelligence team was given a brief to do their undercover work and track the rapist.

According to the team, they had already established his real identity and were closing in on him.

Their first step was to get all the dockets together to establish the rapist’s modus operandi.

They interviewed the victims and realised there was a victim he was particularly interested in (the one mentioned above).

“She was a very beautiful and attractive lady,” said Marion.

He had left his contacts with her and with this knowledge in hand, police realised that one way to catch the rapist was to set up a trap.

Initially, the police had set up two sting operations with the investigating team on stand-by. This was done on Friday, April 13, and another one was done the following day, but the rapist did not show up.

With the victim’s co-operation police managed to arrest the rapist on the Sunday and he was sentenced to nine life sentences a week later after pleading guilty.

Sergeant Xolani Mthuyane, who was part of the investigation team, said working on the case was the highlight of his career.

“Working on a case alone is not easy. Cases like this usually take years to solve, but this one was closed in just five days. In this instance we worked hard and as a team. We were on duty 24 hours.

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.