Waratahs coach Cheika shows how not to make friends and influence people at Shark Tank

2014-03-31 00:00

“IF you don’t stop zooming in with that camera on me, I will f**k you up.”

This was the alleged threat made at King’s Park Stadium to a SuperSport camera operator by Michael Cheika, the coach of the Waratahs rugby team as he was sitting in the coaches’ box.

Cheika left the box and walked down to the field where he allegedly threatened the camera operator using expletives. He had to be led away by security. A charge will be opened against Cheika with rugby controlling body Sanzar about the incident.

Sean Everett, the SuperSport editor at the match between the Sharks and the Waratahs, confirmed the incident and said Cheika did threaten the camera operator.

Everett summoned Piet Strydom, the match co-ordinator, to the outside broadcasting unit to lay the charge against Cheika.

When Cheika was asked after the game what he was doing next to the pitch while the game was being played, he said he wanted to ask why Bismarck du Plessis, the Sharks captain, was allowed to constantly talk to the referee Mike Fraser, after Fraser had made it clear to Waratahs captain Dave Dennis before the match that he did not want the captains to talk to him. He did not say a word about the threats he made to the camera operator.

Strydom said Cheika had transgressed the Sanzar rules by confronting an official next to the pitch during the match.

From his record, Cheika seems to have stood in front of the queue when short tempers were doled out.

A few weeks ago in Canberra, when the Waratahs lost against the Brumbies, Cheika opened a glass door in the coaches’ cubicle with such force that he shattered the glass panels.

He shrugged it off as an accident, but the Brumbies have already sent a bill for $700 (R6 860) to the Waratahs for the repairs.

“I just hope the coaches’ box in which Cheika sat is not too badly damaged,” said Jake White, the Sharks coach, after hearing about the Canberra glass door.

“Hopefully Smittie (John Smit, the Sharks CEO) made sure we took out insurance on the boxes,” White said.

Cheika and his team also faced the wrath of of the SuperSport floor manager, Ken Braidwood, when they were 90 seconds late returning to the pitch after the half-time break.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


How to open a beer bottle without an opener

Do the right thing and never be thirsty again…


You won't want to miss...

WATCH: Man films himself going down water slide upside down as things go very wrong…
WATCH: Conor McGregor: Notorious the trailer
Best date night restaurants in South Africa
WATCH: Ryan Reynolds offers fans a free tattoo in new Deadpool 2 teaser
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.