Wits eliminate Chiefs

2012-10-20 00:00

JOHANNESBURG — Kaizer Chiefs were given a football lesson by Wits as they were beaten 3-2 in their Telkom Knockout last 16 match at Bidvest Stadium last night.

Matthew Pattison scored one and created the two other goals for the Clever Boys.

All the Chiefs Bafana players made a return to the starting line-up save Itumeleng Khune, who was given time off for a family bereavement.

Amakhosi were good in spells, but their play was often disjointed, allowing Wits into the game.

Chiefs had their chances, but Wits had the more clinical finishing.

Tinashe Nengomasha was given a red card in the dying minutes of the match, but Wits were able to hold out for a valuable win.

Earlier, Chiefs came close to scoring the first goal in the fifth minute with Siphiwe Tshabalala and Eric Mathoho combining well.

Tshabalala’s trademark curling free-kick was sent into the box, but Mathoho’s headed attempt could not find the target.

It was Wits, however, who against the run of play scored the opener.

Wits were rewarded with their first meaningful sojourn into the Chiefs’ half when Pattison scored in the 11th minute.

Pattison had to turn, control the ball, and then produced an exemplary finish from outside the box to make it 1-0 to Wits.

Seven minutes later, he was involved again, this time he turned provider with a free-kick.

The set-piece from the right hand side found Papy Fat in the area and his touch was good enough to find the back of the net to double the lead for the home side.

Three minutes after the break, Wits’ Mzikayise Mashaba capitalised on some sloppy ball-control by Chiefs and was gifted the ball running at Arthur Bartman in goal.

His deflected shot almost proved too good for Bartman, but the Chiefs ’keeper managed to make the gather after diving the wrong way.

In the 51st minute Amakhosi were awarded a free-kick on the edge of the area, but Bernard Parker’s attempt was sprayed into the crowd.

In the 65th minute, the visitors pulled a goal back. Parker made a good turn from inside the box, and had no problem slotting the ball past Ryan Harrison in the Wits goal to make the score 2-1.

In the 70th minute, Wits scored what they would have thought was the winner.

Pattison, with an excellent run at goal from a tight angle, crossed for Letsie Koapeng, who nailed the chance to extend the lead to 3-1.

It, however, took Chiefs less than two minutes to reply. After a charging run downfield, Lehlohonolo Majoro had the ball at his feet inside the area with acres of space, and he turned to slap the ball into the back of the net to make the score 3-2.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.