WATCH: 5 dangerous TV stunts gone wrong

Los Angeles — A stunt performer says he's OK after being hit in the neck with a flaming arrow during a live broadcast of NBC's America's Got Talent on Tuesday.

Sword swallower Ryan Stock had downed a long rod with a target on the end for his fiancée AmberLynn Walker to shoot at with her crossbow. Her flaming arrow missed the mark and hit Stock in the neck. The judges and crowd sat in stunned silence before Stock told host Nick Cannon he was OK.

Watch it here:

Simon Cowell interrupted fellow judge Heidi Klum to implore Stock to seek medical attention. Cannon later said Stock was checked out by an EMT.

Stock later blamed a "mechanical failure" for the mishap. He says on Twitter that he was "very fortunate to walk away".

Stock wasn't the first performer to suffer an injury on the variety competition series. Here's a look back at other mishaps on the series:

Ivan the urban action figure

After advancing in the second season in 2007 with an acrobatic dancing routine, Ivan's next stunt got off to a bad start. He dove head-first into a pile of metal folding chairs and spent a few motionless minutes on the floor.

America's Got Talent host Jerry Springer said the acrobatic break-dancer received medical attention and would be fine, although he wasn't able to continue on in the competition.

Watch it here:

Little firewater and white dove

Simon Cowell and the judges from Britain's Got Talent cut short the 2007 knife-throwing act of Brian "Little Firewater" Webber when a few of his blades didn't land and one grazed the noggin of his daughter, Melanie "White Dove" Webber.

Melanie dismissed the criticism and told the panel she never felt in danger. Cowell didn't agree. He told her, "Why are you arguing with me when I just saved your life?"

Watch it here.

Primitivo Montoya

During the sixth season of America's Got Talent in 2011, utility worker Primitivo Montoya fell off the stage during a goofy dance routine while attempting a somersault.

Montoya quickly sprang back up. However, judges Piers Morgan, Sharon Osbourne and Howie Mandel axed him from the show. He returned later that season and fell off the stage again — this time intentionally onto a mattress.

Watch it here:

Tran Tan Phat

A magician on the third season semi-finals of Vietnam's Got Talent in 2015 mistakenly gulped acid and was sent to the hospital instead of the finale.

Phat was supposed to single out the odourless substance among four identical shots of water. Instead, he drank it and left the stage after his performance. He suffered burns to his lips and tongue.

Watch it here:

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For 14 free days, you can have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today. Thereafter you will be billed R75 per month. You can cancel anytime and if you cancel within 14 days you won't be billed. 
Subscribe to News24