Ask Sis Dolly: Birth certificates for my kids

By Drum Digital
15 August 2016

I’ve been married for a year and I have two kids from a past relationship, they don’t have birth certificates as their father refuses to give them to me

I’ve been married for a year and I have two kids from a past relationship. They don’t have birth certificates as their father refuses to give them to me.

I went to the Department of Home Affairs but had no success because I need his ID number for the certificates.

Please help, I don’t want problems in the future.

Sis Dolly answers

The father doesn’t have a right to keep the certificates because the children are not in his care. Even if you were married to him, according to law, legal documents relevant to the children should be with the person the children live with.

However, the Department of Home Affairs does need both your identity numbers for them to reissue the birth certificates and avoid any fraud.

Get advice from the Department of Social Development or a child welfare centre near you for further help in this matter. Good luck.

Find Love!