Ask Sis Dolly: Grant trouble

By Pheto Ramakobya
22 February 2016

My mother is taking care of my brother’s son, who was abandoned by his mother when she found work in Jozi.

His mother is not supporting him even though she receives a grant for him.

This is a strain on my mother, who is on a medical pension.

Can my mother be given the child grant?

Sis Dolly answers

Your mother should be receiving the grant because she is the primary caregiver for the child.

I suggest that you and your mother go to the South African Social Security Agency (Sassa) office nearest to where your mother lives and apply for the grant to be given to your mother.

You’ll need to gather as much evidence as possible to show that she is the primary caregiver and that your nephew lives with her and has done so for some time.

If he’s at school, ask the school to write a letter saying that he attends, as this may help.

If he regularly goes to church with your mom, a letter from a priest may be evidence. I hope this gives you a starting point.

Lastly, make sure she has the child’s birth certificate.

Find Love!