Ask Sis Dolly: He abuses me physically

By Drum Digital
15 May 2014

Anonymous asks: My partner is the father of my child and I love him dearly. He says he loves me but I don’t believe him as he has become very violent and abusive towards me. I’m writing to you from my hospital bed because he stabbed me. He also beats me up. I also recently found a number on his cellphone saved under the word ‘Love’. What am I to make of all this?

Sis Dolly answers:  There are two problems here: he is physically abusing you and even tried to kill you, and he might be having an affair. Why would you consider staying with this man at all, even if he is the father of your child and says he loves you? He is not showing his love. This is a man who stabbed you. He could have killed you – what would happen to your child then? I suggest you go for counselling to talk to a professional about his abuse. Ask him about the number – or call it yourself. If a woman answers then you know that he’s betraying you. Don’t let him take advantage of you in this way. Rely on people you can trust and find another place to live. If he threatens you again, contact the police immediately.

And call the Stop Gender Violence helpline (0800-150-150) for help and advice

Find Love!