Ask Sis Dolly: He won't pay maintenance

By Drum Digital
20 September 2016

Our child is a year old and he’s never given us a cent

I’m a 32-year-old woman and have a child with a 40-year-old man. When I was pregnant he never supported me and after the birth of our child, he didn’t bother visiting us in hospital. Then he resigned from his job, and when I asked him for money he’d say he didn’t have any.

Now our child is a year old and he’s never given us a cent.  Please help.

How can I get him to maintain his child?

Sis Dolly Answers 

The father of the child is required by law to help meet its financial needs. Even if he has decided not to be part of the child’s life, he still has to pay maintenance.

Visit your nearest Magistrate’s Court and speak to the maintenance officer who will then explain the procedure to make sure that he pays his dues according to the Maintenance Act.

They will help you trace any source of income he has so he can assist you financially in raising your child.

Find Love!