Ask sis Dolly: I want him to support his child

By Drum Digital
17 August 2015

Her father deserted us.

I'm a single mother of a little girl. Her father deserted us, saying he's now settled with his wife. What can I do to get him to support our child financially?

Sis Dolly answers:

You can go to a maintenance court and get advice for the correct procedure you would need to follow to get him to comply. The law is on your side, so you just need to find out how to exercise your rights and follow the correct procedure to ensure that he takes care of his child. Go to your nearest Magistrate's Court and find out where your nearest maintenance court is. Take certified copies of your ID and your child's birth certificate. If you have your ex's ID number and address, those details will also help. You can visit the Department of Justice's website at to find the right form to complete and what other supporting documents you will need.

Find Love!