Ask sis Dolly:How do I make it work?

By Drum Digital
09 July 2015

I need you to help me.

I'm 23 and made the mistake of getting pregnant before getting married with my boyfriend of five years. I need help as I really want this relationship to work because I want my child to grow up with both parents. Now we've had a fight and separated. I'm willing to do whatever it takes to make my child happy.

Sis Dolly answers:

What will make your child happy is to have both parents in his or her life. Being together in an unhappy relationship will do more harm to the child than being apart and happy in your own lives. I applaud your willingness to work on your relationship. Just make sure you're not the only one working at it, and you're not then abused because your partner knows that being together for your child is important to you. You didn't say what you fought about and what support you'd need to resolve this issue. I recommend you go for couples therapy to help you develop a better understanding of each other, and what you both need from this relationship. My wish for you is that your boyfriend will be willing to give counselling a shot, and that you can work it out and be there for your child.

Find Love!