Chiefs safely into Nedbank cup quarter-final

By Drum Digital
27 March 2014

Kaizer Chiefs put to bed their disappointing Caf Champions League defeat to AS Vita at the weekend with a 2-1 win over FC Buffalo in the second round of the Nedbank Cup at FNB Stadium, in Johannesburg, on Wednesday evening.

Chiefs suffered a heavy 3-0 defeat in the Democratic Republic of the Congo's capital Kinshasa, but eased the pain midweek, courtesy of goals from Ivan Bukenya and Mandla Masango either side of half-time.

Amakhosi boss Stuart Baxter opted to rest every member of Sunday's starting line-up, choosing instead to include a number of fringe players in desperate need of game-time, while allowing Chiefs' regulars to take a well-deserved rest.

A quiet opening period saw little in the way of action from either side, save a header that flashed wide from Bukenya eight minutes in.

Katlego Mphela was next to have a go, but his mistimed header also missed the target when he should have done better after being allowed time and space in the area.

The Glamour Boys found their rhythm and began a relentless attack on the Buffalo goalmouth, with Masango and Erick Mathoho seeing their attempts cleared off the line.

But the home side were not to be denied again shortly after, and on the half-hour mark Bukenya headed home from a corner set-piece to hand Chiefs a well-deserved lead.

Chiefs looked comfortable after the opener but seemed to become complacent on the ball, as Buffalo started to push forward.

Chiefs' lead was short-lived as disaster struck for the Soweto giants, Mtsweni steering a mis-placed cross into the back of his own net, gifting the visitors with the equaliser on the stroke of half-time.

Having gone into the break without their lead, Chiefs wasted little time in exploiting Buffalo at the set-piece as Mathoho sent his header onto the roof of the net a minute into the second stanza.

Nine minutes later, Chiefs' Siyabonga Nkosi watched as his thunderous effort drilled against the upright after taking a nasty deflection on the way, before Mathoho suffered the same fate as the woodwork again came to Buffalo's rescue before the hour mark.

Chiefs were looking increasingly dangerous in the final third with shots and attempts coming at regular intervals, George Maluleka testing Buffalo goalkeeper Nonkululeko Mthimkhulu from distance.

But the visitors from East London would eventually be broken down for a second time in the match as Masango sent the home side back into the lead with a diving header.

George Lebese made a darting run into the heart of the Buffalo defence, before delivering an accurate cross towards Masango, who was unmarked and perfectly placed to grab the lead with 20 minutes left to play.

Chiefs were made to sweat in the dying minutes of the game, with Mduduzi Mabaso stinging the upright from a well-taken volleyed effort just two minutes from time.

In the end, however, Chiefs managed to hold on despite being far from convincing against their Safa Second Division opponents, who certainly made life difficult for their Premiership counterparts.


Find Love!