How to finance your studies

By Drum Digital
09 February 2011

DON’T despair if you don’t have the money to put yourself through college, technikon or university and your family can’t afford to pay your fees. There are ways and means to get an education or a qualification even if you are strapped for cash.

The most common way is to apply for bursaries or loans that are available to financially disadvantaged students.

The National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) administers many of these on behalf of several national government departments, provincial governments and corporate donors.

While funding is available only for studies conducted at universities and Further Education Training (FET) colleges in South Africa, students studying part time or at private institutions, irrespective of the course or institution, do not qualify for financial aid from the NSFAS.

They can, however, apply for a bursary from a big corporation or from the tertiary institution of their choice. But applying for a loan or a bursary is not as easy as it sounds, says NSFAS spokesperson Bonny Feldman.

Read the article in the Drum of 17 February 2011 – and share your views below.

Find Love!