TB Joshua’s followers still love him

By Drum Digital
12 October 2014

“I felt a huge spirit coming inside me. It seemed as if I was dead, I think I resurrected and then I woke up."

By: Nomzamo Ngcobo

He spent 13 hours without oxygen under the rubble after the collapse of a guesthouse belonging T.B Joshua’s Synagogue Church of All Nations (SCOAN) in Lagos, Nigeria on 12 September 201. But Khathutshelo Ramovha says he was not scared at all, in fact, he was worshipping while underneath the rubble.

The 28-year-old from Tshirolwe Village in Limpopo tells DRUM that he arrived at the SCOAN late on Tuesday the 9th. On Wednesday and Thursday, he went for lectures conducted by the church’s ‘Wisemans’.

He says, “They taught us how to live and how to conduct ourselves as Christians. With the teachings that they were teaching us, it was like they were preparing us for this incident that was going happened because they continuously said that uncommon blessings attract uncommon challenges.”

“And that as a Christian, you must always be ready for anything because as a Christian there will be many challenges, and that we need to rely on Jesus Christ’,” adds Khathutshelo.

He also tells us that there was another lecture again on Friday morning. He explains, “After that lecture, we went to have lunch. We were around 300 to 350. We gathered and they started to dish for us. I received my food but before I could eat, I heard a sound and the walls started to fall down.”

Khathutshelo says he collapsed and he was unconscious for about an hour. “I felt a huge spirit coming inside me. It seemed as if I was dead, I think I resurrected and then I woke up. When I noticed that I was alive, I was in a very dark and hot place, there was no oxygen and it was bad. People were screaming all over.”

Fortunately, the rubble didn’t hurt Khathutshelo but he says he was stuck in between the rubble and he didn’t get hurt. After 13 hours he was rescued through a tunnel where he was able to crawl out.

He recalls, “There were about 11 brand new ambulances that the Man of God has bought before the incidents. It seems as if he foreknew what will happen. I don’t know when he bought the ambulances but what I heard was that he was going to donate them to the nearby hospitals.”

He also tells us that when he was discharged from the hospital on Saturday, the 13th, the church allocated him another place to sleep and he was given new clothes and food because he lost all his belongings. On Sunday, he attended the church service.

Khathutshelo recalls, “The service was good but he [T.B Joshua] couldn’t speak much because you could see that he was not okay. He showed us a video of how the building fell. And he read an email that he said he received from a boko haram member who was saying that he came at the church to bomb it but because of God, he could not bomb it but he went back home with it. He said he was still with the bomb and he needed help to accept Jesus Christ and his Lord and Saviour.”

He also says that T.B Joshua told the congregation that he had received the letter recently and he showed them a picture of the person who “sent the email”, claiming to be a boko haram member.

Regardless all that happened, Khathutshelo is still a follower of ‘the man of God’, as his followers affectionately refer to him. He tells us, “I see the Prophet as an unordinary man. I see him as a picture of Jesus.”

Read about more survivors in the 16 October 2014 issue of DRUM on shelves now.

Find Love!