Johannesburg - President Jacob Zuma did not attend the ANC's door-to-door campaign in Soweto on Saturday due to a prior engagement, the party said.
"This omission on our part is regrettable for the inconvenience it caused to the media and members of the public who expected to be addressed by President Zuma," spokesperson Jackson Mthembu said in a statement.
The party's programmes in Soweto continued with African National Congress national working committee members Nathi Mthethwa, Nomvula Mokonyane and the provincial chairperson Paul Mashatile.
"These Comrades will continue with tomorrow's [Sunday's] programme where the president was deployed."
Mthembu also expressed regret that ANC deputy secretary general Jessie Duarte had been unable to attend an inner-city campaign in Johannesburg due to illness.
"This leg of mobilisation will continue with the Comrades Malusi Gigaba, Mzwandile Masina and Brian Hlongwa," Mthembu said.
Earlier, the presidency said that Zuma was relaxing at his home in Nkandla ahead of a busy schedule next week.
"...The president visited two local voter registration stations in Halambu and Ntolwane Primary Schools respectively," spokesman Mac Maharaj said in a statement.
"He was happy with the turn out of potential voters, especially the young people who indicated they would be voting for the first time on 7 May."
It's your last chance to register for Elections 2014. Download News24's free Elections App to check if you are registered, on Android or iOS.