Aspirant ANC councillor shot dead in Nelson Mandela Bay

2016-07-27 11:55
(File, News24)

Port Elizabeth – The African National Congress said it was shocked after a ward councillor candidate was shot and killed in Nelson Mandela Bay on Tuesday.

The Ward 4 candidate, Nceba Dywili, was killed in Zwide on Tuesday night, hours after he had participated in door-to-door campaigns in his constituency.

ANC treasurer general Zweli Mkhize said on Wednesday that they would be visiting the family to convey their condolences.

"We are shocked at his death."


Nceba Dywili (Facebook)

He said they had already lost several candidates in the build-up to the elections.

Their names would still be featured on the ballot papers, however, as the IEC processes had been closed. The ANC in the region would be issuing a more detailed statement later in the day, he said.

Police spokesperson Constable Mncedi Mbombo said the incident happened about 21:00 on Tuesday and no arrests had yet been made.

Dywili was shot several times in the upper body, while a volunteer he was dropping off was shot in the buttocks.

“Police are investigating a case of murder,” Mbombo said.

Tributes started pouring in on Wednesday morning for Dywili, who had been on the campaign trail with Human Settlements Minister Lindiwe Sisulu a few hours before his death.

ANC councillor Marion Harning labelled his death a "waste. The pain, the cruelty".

- Find everything you need to know about the 2016 Local Government Elections at our News24 Elections site, including the latest news and detailed, interactive maps for how South Africa has voted over the past 3 elections, or download the app for iOS and Android.

Read more on: anc  |  port elizabeth  |  local elections 2016  |  crime

News24 |   OLX  |  PROPERTY24  |  CAREERS24  |  SUPERBALIST  |  AUTOTRADER  |