NFP allowed to contest one municipality in KZN

2016-07-09 16:05
NFP. (News24)

Durban – The National Freedom Party has been allowed to contest one municipality in KwaZulu-Natal, its spokesperson confirmed on Saturday.

NFP spokesperson Sabelo Sigudu said the party had been permitted to contest in the Nquthu Municipality after the municipality paid its registration fee directly to the Independent Electoral Commission of South Africa [IEC] on time.

He said the municipality also submitted all the necessary documents on time.

The party is currently challenging an Electoral Court’s decision to disqualify it from the upcoming local government elections after the party failed to pay the registration fee by the June 2 deadline.  

In an interview with eNCA on Saturday, chairperson of the IEC in the province, Mawethu Mosery, said the party had about 17 candidates that would be part of the general election on August 3.  

Four members of the party were suspended for the election blunder, secretary general Professor Nhlanhla Khubisa, national chairperson Maliyakhe Shelembe, treasurer Xolani Ndlovu and deputy national chairperson Sicelo Mabika.

Khubisa and Shelembe who subsequently resigned from their positions later claimed that they withdrew their resignations however, the party has not received their withdrawals and considered them ordinary members of the party.

- Find everything you need to know about the 2016 Local Government Elections at our News24 Elections site, including the latest news and detailed, interactive maps for how South Africa has voted over the past 3 elections, or download the app for iOS and Android.

Read more on: nfp  |  pietermaritzburg  |  local elections 2016

News24 |   OLX  |  PROPERTY24  |  CAREERS24  |  SUPERBALIST  |  AUTOTRADER  |