How to register for the 2014 national and provincial
- Check that you have a green South African identity document
with a barcode. If you don't have one, apply for one at the department of home
- If you have already registered to vote in a previous
national or local election, you can check whether your name is on the voters
roll. Do this by checking the voter registration details on the IEC website or send an SMS with your ID number to
- If you haven't ever registered, you've missed the final voter registration weekend, but you can still register
to vote at a municipal electoral office. You will need to make an
appointment beforehand. Registration needs to be completed before the election
date is officially proclaimed.
- You need to apply in person and take your ID book or
smartcard ID, or a Temporary Identity Certificate if you don't have an ID book.
- If you're overseas, you are able to register to vote in person either in South Africa or at one of South
Africa's 124 embassies, high commissions, or consulates-general located in 108
countries. For more information, visit the IEC website.