Cape Town mayor Patricia de Lille launches party manifesto for the city. (Jenna Etheridge, News24)
Cape Town – Mayor Patricia de Lille on Tuesday announced the DA's election manifesto for Cape Town, calling it "realistic, achievable, and forward-looking".
- Are you registered to vote? For registration details, live election results and more, download our Elections App for Android or iOS now!
Should she be re-elected, here are some of the party’s priorities for the next five years.Safe city:
- Ensuring that safety and police services are available 24 hours a day;
- Using technology to fight crime. For example, using CCTV cameras to identify and find criminals;
- Continuing neighbourhood policing through urban upgrades, volunteers, raids and roadblocks.
Stand-out quote: "Building a city where people can access jobs or live their lives in freedom means people have to be safe. For our part, we have tried to partner with the Saps to make communities safer."
- Continuing to pursue excellence in basic service delivery;
- Dealing with homelessness in a compassionate manner and addressing the cause of the problem;
- Stepping up the fight against alcohol and substance abuse;
- Putting more resources into sanitation and cleaning services.
Stand-out quote: "More than 25 000 people in the city have accepted those [chemical and portable flush toilets] because the land does not lend itself to flush toilets. But we will continue, wherever it is do-able and possible, to provide full flush toilets to communities."
- Expanding access to housing;
- Continuing to encourage residents to talk about race and other divisive issues, and to reject and speak out against all forms of prejudice and discrimination;
- Continuing to increase the number of residents contributing to rates and service tariffs so services to the poor can be cross-subsidised.
Stand-out quote: "Cape Town belongs to all who live in it. Our fragmented history saw artificial barriers created between people. We will work harder to break down those barriers and build an inclusive city."
- Investing in roads, water and electricity infrastructure critical for economic growth;
- Promoting Cape Town as an investment destination;
- Investing in skills that the economy needs and creating work for the youth.
Stand-out quote: "Cape Town is one of the main engines of the South African economy and is emerging as Africa’s ideas centre. Our task it to encourage investors and businesses to make Cape Town their home."
Well run city:
- Maintaining a zero tolerance approach to corruption and bribery;
- Maintaining good governance without crippling service delivery through excessive red tape compliance;
- Using technology to help understand community needs and finding smarter ways of delivering services.
Stand-out quote: "In Cape Town, we have received clean audits year on year. Our supply chain bid adjudication meetings are open to the public. And those found guilty of corruption are shown the door."